The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have well water. I tested it for NitrItes before starting this tank, and then face palmed after we were all set up. I had meant to test for NitrAtes. So, we have nitrates: no big surprise. SIGH!

We don't have room for an RO/DI storage tank in any convenient (or frost free) place in our home (no basement), nor do I plan to lug 60 gallons of water per week upstairs to where the tank is. I've been surfing and looking for an alternative, and last night I stumbled on what looks like a plausible solution:

Many Hats of Me: Aquarium Water Change System

He's using a 2-stage filter, but not specifically for nitrate removal. He's more interested in TDS and chlorine. But, I've searched and found these systems:

I'm thinking I might be able to adapt this one to his plumbing plan: Crystal Quest Countertop Replaceable Double Nitrate PLUS Water Filter System | Water Softeners Filters

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The plants in your tank are the best nitrate filter you could have. Your plants require nitrates so unless the nitrates in your water are off the chart I personally would not worry about it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're testing at 20ppms out of the tank. Yesterday, they were testing at 80ppm in the tank and I did a 50% water change without a noticable drop.

If one searches the Internet, one comes up with such a wide disparity of what is "okay" for fish. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Personally I stopped testing nitrates. Unless you are calibrating your test kit or have a kit that is extremely high quality then there is a good chance your numbers are wrong. If your fish are healthy, showing no signs of stress, are eating well, and active I wouldnt worry. You can always add more plants ;).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
They're testing at 20ppms out of the tank. Yesterday, they were testing at 80ppm in the tank and I did a 50% water change without a noticable drop.

If one searches the Internet, one comes up with such a wide disparity of what is "okay" for fish. What's your opinion?
If you had 80ppm in the tank and you changed 50% with 20ppm water and the tank still measured 80ppm one or more of your tests are wrong.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Opinion here is (assuming you are using an API test kit)
Yellow = Add more ferts
Orange = All is well
Red = Change some water.

Too difficult to differentiate between shades of orange and red.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts