The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just been lookin around, curious and such with co2.
I was looking for small and cheap. This is small which is awesome, but is it really worth it?
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_product_info&cPath=2_52&products_id=15

I was also lookin around and found a regulator for a paintball tank is like 160$ with a bubble counter and all that jazz. I think it was from GLA.

This isnt anything Im lookin at gettin soon, but depending on how the tank looks/feels in 6 or so months I might get into it. So I was just lookin around right now at pricing and how-tos. ANY info would be appreciated! ^_^

-Kitty

note, the tank it would be used on is a 20G. I would prolly have to up my lighting before I use co2 anyhow seeing as even with my NEW lights I will be running 1.4 wpg (2 14w T5 = 28TW)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinkin that too. Well hold on, how big are the "big" paintball tanks? I remember playin paintball as a kid and I had a verrrrry large tank. I would imagine 5#, but I havent a clue.

As far as regulators go, anyone know of any good ones...or is the GLA paintball version one I saw just as good you think?

·
Registered
336 Posts
"The sterile carbon dioxide not only has disinfectant properties, but also produces the fragrance of a natural forest, deodorizing aquarium water and enhancing relaxation effect of your Nature Aquarium."

That kit sounds like a very expensive solution to a problem you probably don't have.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
That ADA unit looks so good but I wouldn't want to deal with it. It just won't last long enough and for that cost you could have a setup that could last you forever. I just happened to stumble on a 20lb tank on my 29 gallon and now I am a huge fan of big tanks. I don't have mine in my stand but I could if I really wanted, it would be cramped. I would go with 5lb tank minimum.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My main concern as I have posted on a DIY co2 thread I asked about, is my cat. She is literally like a monkey and has to touch everything and crawl over everything to investigate and I would kinda like somthing small, but steady.

So in hindsight the paintball setup, even at 24oz, she could easily overturn. So I am thinking maybe a 5#/10# tank would stay on my dresser easier than a 24oz PB Tank.

Now, I suppose regulators. :/ There is another thread that has this topic in the air, but the talk of needles and fractions and crap is confusing me to the point of a headache. (Damn you, Vicodyn!!!) I just want somthing that will be plug-n-play with as little stress and hassle as possible.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I run the Red Sea CO2 Pro System here is the link click me This was just a fast google search. Anyway I run it on my 10gal tank with the 24oz bottles they last me around 3-4 months at 2-3bps so just buy 2 or 3 tanks and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My main concern as I have posted on a DIY co2 thread I asked about, is my cat. She is literally like a monkey and has to touch everything and crawl over everything to investigate and I would kinda like somthing small, but steady.

So in hindsight the paintball setup, even at 24oz, she could easily overturn. So I am thinking maybe a 5#/10# tank would stay on my dresser easier than a 24oz PB Tank.

Now, I suppose regulators. :/ There is another thread that has this topic in the air, but the talk of needles and fractions and crap is confusing me to the point of a headache. (Damn you, Vicodyn!!!) I just want somthing that will be plug-n-play with as little stress and hassle as possible.
If thinking of the whole picture is giving you a headache, just break it down into its parts. Start with the CO2 tank and work your way towards the aquarium. It sounds like you have the CO2 tank figured out, so now its time to figure out the regulator. You should be able to do some research over the next couple days and figure out what you are looking for. Once you have that done just move on to the next part and before you know it you'll have it all figured out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ive been looking into different pressurized co2 systems for the past week...the kits and something you piece together yourself.

ptn has a link for buying parts separate, and putting it together yourself: http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Pressurized-CO2/19/

and heres another one ive found: http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/Podio_Advanced_CO2_System.html

im looking at around $110-$140 to get everything all set up (im still getting quotes on 5 lb cylinders)

all in all, its much cheaper to build it yourself than it is to actually but a 'kit'

·
Registered
355 Posts
i agree with everyone saying that the ADA advanced co2 system is very expensive and the cartridges run out in about 3-4 weeks (depending on how many BPS you're using). i would go with the GLA paintball regulator with a 24oz tank. its a little easy to knock over but i'm sure if you put it inside your stand or lean it up against something it'll be fine. For your 20g tank i would most def. go with the GLA paintball regulator with a 24oz or a 5lb cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
For your 20g tank i would most def. go with the GLA paintball regulator with a 24oz or a 5lb cylinder.
Do note that the regulator required or a paintball tank and regular CO2 tanks is different.

Of course, you could always buy a paintball tank to regular CO2 tank (CGA320) adapter...

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
is this for real or is ada making this up?
They actually do market the product as such, and apparently, people do buy it...:icon_roll

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.