The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some back up heaters to run with a generator if my power goes out, or in case my inline heater goes out on me. I figured I'd get 2 of them cause if there's a power outage the house will get really cold and one probably won't do the trick.

Anyhow - they are so cheap they worry me. Anyone have one of these no name heaters?

Crap - ebay link removed. Grrrrr.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Always sink as much as you can possibly afford into filter/heating. If it looks/sounds cheap its just not worth the risk. You have done some serious investment on fish, plants, generator and you want to take a risk on a couple heaters? No! If your looking backup submersible heaters, go with Jäger, pm me i can recommend a good place to get.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
seconding the bit about avoiding cheap heaters.

There are just way too many horror stories about failed heaters.

Plus, if you have a decent sized tank, it's going to take a while to cool off significantly - water holds a _lot_ of heat.

Barring regional disasters, I'd say it would be rare to be without power for more then a few hours or so, and I think most tanks would be virtually unaffected (or at least not harmed) in that amount of time.

If it's a serious concern, your money would probably be better spent on some sort of power-back up like they use for computers and such (UPS - uninterruptible power supply)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.