The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to get my 25W Stealth heater hidden in my 5.5G. It would be nice if I could just bury the heater, but something tells me that might not be so good. But how about burying it half way though? What I mean is attach the heater with the suction cups to the bottom of the tank and then add enough gravel so that the bottom half of the heater is cover and the top half is exposed. Since the Stealth heater is black plastic it would perfectly blend with the black flourite I have. The top half of the heater being exposed would allow the heat from the heating element to rise and the thermostat to hopefully work correctly too. Also there would still be water flow around it (or half of it). The big question though is ... has anyone actually tried something like this before? How did it work out?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I should probably add that my tank is viewable from 3 sides (only the one short side is hidden) so that's why I'm trying to hide the heater. Unfortunately it doesn't fit too well on the short side of the tank (it's too long vertically and too long horizontally). Only way to fit it on the short side is diagonally which sort of interferes with the filter tubing, etc. and makes it hard to hide with plants.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. I have a number of Stealth heaters and the heating element is in the part that you want to bury. I had some cichlids pile up sand on the bottom of one of the heaters and it started to stick to the heater. I would recommend hiding it with plants, rocks or driftwood instead.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'd just lay the heater on the top of the substrate. I have the same heater in my 5.5g and just have it down horizontal on top of the substrate with no problems. Since its plastic you wont have to worry about thermal stress cracking any glass if you did bury it. If the tank is empty go ahead and bury it and see how it regulates the temperature.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't recommend it. I have a number of Stealth heaters and the heating element is in the part that you want to bury. I had some cichlids pile up sand on the bottom of one of the heaters and it started to stick to the heater. I would recommend hiding it with plants, rocks or driftwood instead.
I'm not referring to burying the bottom of the heater when the heater is vertical, that would definitely be bad cause you would basically bury the whole heating element. What I'm referring to is burying the bottom when the heater is horizontal. So it's the back half of the heater when you're looking at it vertical. Sort of like this:

HEATERHEATERHEATERHEATER <- Above gravel
HEATERHEATERHEATERHEATER <- Below gravel

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Thanks,
Harry

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Here's something I did with a 40 breeder. I dug a pit below the gravel surface and put the heater in (not buried). The gravel is held back by a thin strip of clear PVC and a couple rocks.

It was barely visible even from above the tank once the plants filled in.

I know this is a much larger scale than 5.5 gal, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Harry,

Did you ever try this with the stealth? Any issues? Thanks...
Nope, I chickened out :) ... decided to just hide the heater with plants ... although I am thinking of trying to attach moss to it to hide it even better.

Harry

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Here's something I did with a 40 breeder. I dug a pit below the gravel surface and put the heater in (not buried). The gravel is held back by a thin strip of clear PVC and a couple rocks.

That is an awesome idea--my only gripe would be that it would be a pain to adjust the temp if needed--would require removing the lid and reaching all the way to the bottom/back of the tank to turn the knob. Other than that I would love to do mine like that.

·
Registered
183 Posts

omg what a great idea! LOL! I think I might try this later on!:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts