·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. That's a great deal. The reason why the pricing sucks so much is because we're in Canada..... :( Wonder if Marine Depot ships to Canada? Will have to check it out.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could do Pt Roberts and get US shipping. But the reality is the upgrade is too small for me to change out my existing system, except it will look much nicer. I am still aiming for the Tek lights.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well sure, but it won't be cheaper than any of the other Canadian company. J&L will price match anyone, but as I've found in the past that Big Al's in Canada has different pricing than the US online store.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tek lights are way more. have you checked out catalina aquarium?
I have considered them and have heard good and bad. One of the bads is fan noise. I have not ruled them out, but was hoping for a cheaper alternative. Another one I'm considering is the "New Wave" from Sunlight supply. But I haven't seen any of these in person yet.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have considered them and have heard good and bad. One of the bads is fan noise. I have not ruled them out, but was hoping for a cheaper alternative. Another one I'm considering is the "New Wave" from Sunlight supply. But I haven't seen any of these in person yet.
Can you please clarify for me, fan noise as to the catalina or tek fixture?

tia,

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

I don't believe Catalina T5HOs use fans. At least, not the ones I've seen. Nova Extremes have a noisey fan issue though, that's what I have. I had to change out the fan for a computer 40 mm fan but, still not exactly quiet. Since it's against the wall where the furnace is, no point in me stressing about. :icon_wink

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ and I have a 6 foot tank. :p

As for Coralife discontinuing their NO lights, it's no big deal, as the way these HO are setup, they're still only good for low to mid-tech setups anyway.

I have not had any experience with the Catalina ones and did not know they had no fans. Anybody local selling them, or are they mail order only?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm liking these Catalina rigs more and more. I've recently really gotten into fancy plecos (smaller ones) and one feature I want is moonlights for catfish viewing at night. Since my 125 setup is a modest lower tech (still CO2 injected) setup, I don't want to deal with too much light, but was thinking for getting this 160w 72" rig with moonlights. Has anyone used the remote module? Just wondering if it's worth it.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1425

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
The moonlights I had on my old Solar fixture were absolutely worthless, couldn't see a thing with them.

However, they've entirely changed their fixtures around since I had that one, so I'm probably not contributing at all... LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.