The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know chihiros is still kind of hard to get in the US but has anyone had a chance to try out the RGB vivid, specifically the mini?

What did you think of the color rendition? Are they as vivid in person as online? How was your experience with the app? How was the noise from the fan? What were your color settings, and did you find that this was able to pull deeper reds in your plants? If you have used a twinstar or ADA in the past, would you prefer the chihiros or the others?

Thanks! I can't find any reviews for the vivid mini.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I know chihiros is still kind of hard to get in the US but has anyone had a chance to try out the RGB vivid, specifically the mini?

What did you think of the color rendition? Are they as vivid in person as online? How was your experience with the app? How was the noise from the fan? What were your color settings, and did you find that this was able to pull deeper reds in your plants? If you have used a twinstar or ADA in the past, would you prefer the chihiros or the others?

Thanks! I can't find any reviews for the vivid mini.
No experience with the vivid mini but I had a wrgb 2 for a little less then a year before it died on me. Contacted the company and the only reseller in the USA (though I did not buy through the reseller) and no one even bothered to respond to my email. Zero support and its a dead light. I was able to find a replacement part for 30 dollars but I have to cut open the cord to splice the wires together myself and just haven't gotten there yet. I used to recommend chihiros for their price point. Now I would say you are better off buying from a company that will stand behind their product then getting a light that will die in a year and leave you in the lurch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got two (wrgb 2) and being a long time Kessil user I'm amazed at how these lights render color, and also plant growth is amazing.

Support-wise, I bought from the US distributor and support was great. One light arrived with warped diffuser, didn't impact function but looked bad, and they organized a replacement diffuser for me. Very happy with support.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys! User based experience with these is far and few between so far. I believe the fan noise is similar with the larger lights. Did the fan annoy you? My tank is in my living room where we watch TV.

I found an aquarium shop with an online store with them for sale. I only found them through looking for this light somewhere other than amazon/ebay so im not sure how their customer support is. But considering its an actual shop I think I can rule out any bum/cheap/counterfeit lights if those even exist. I had found a few similar instances where people said it crapped out after a short time so that's definitely a concern. I know Twinstars to be almost second to none when it comes to build quality, however a lack of fan presence on the twinstar also makes me question the long term durability of it since mine do get pretty hot throughout the day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
BTW my exp. is with the WRGB II which doesn't have fan. I haven't had a vivid. Just to clarify.
If you are after the US distributor, it's a shop called Aqua rocks colorado.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW my exp. is with the WRGB II which doesn't have fan. I haven't had a vivid. Just to clarify.
If you are after the US distributor, it's a shop called Aqua rocks colorado.
That's the exact site I was looking at. Thanks for confirming! I'm impulsive by nature so I'm going to pull the trigger and buy a vivid mini with the shade. I've got my twinstar posted for sale here and a few other forums, if I can sell it to make some money back great, if not me and my multiple tank syndrome will find a use for it later lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
One additional thing that I now can't live without: night lighting. As the Chihiros has built in timer/controller, I can set it to ramp down really low and stay there for a few hours at night, so I still can enjoy the tank. It's super nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts