The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting some Rotala Rtundifolia Orange Juice in today and I was thinking it might be good to plant this in a small pot or container and then put it in the aquarium behind the rocks. I have a little bag of Fluval Plant Stratum I can use too. I've never used aqua soil nor put plants in containers. Anything I should be aware of?

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
623 Posts
so the containers shouldn't be an issue unless you're using something painted with lead paint. People use pots and broken pots in their tank all the time(thinking of those terracotta clay pots). as far as the soil, all I know is that if you set up a tank with it you have to do excessive water changes to start and that tapers down but still doing larger than normal for a few months.

So if you are putting in just a couple pots of it I would suspect you would want to double your changes for awhile. definitely test those water parameters often. I would do daily tests for a few days.

I like the idea of the pots. Even before planting, allowing you to see what they look like and where. Also the added elevation yet still behind can make a smaller plant look bigger.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I currently have some ludwigia in plastic 2" pots filled with ecocomplete. It works well and makes it slightly easier to place them in harder to reach areas. I also have some S. Repens in a pot that is suction cupped to the upper part of the tank. But yeah, maybe use an inert substrate to fill it and rely on the ferts in the WC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also use pots all the time. Very small terracotta pots are my fav since they are weighted. I only use soil or active substrate in them if I a nursing a delicate specimen that needs quick root development i.e. tissue cultures or salvaging dying plants.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate all the help I get here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.