The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to let the Colorado people know. Ron over at Jurassic pets did a special order for me, instead of ordering individual fish he ordered a full order of M. Pygmeya (Pygmy Rainbowfish) which just recently found their way to the larger breeding farms. They are an absolute beautiful fish. They have a body that is sky blue, with a shimmer similar to the M.praecox (dwarf neon rainbow). They stay smaller than the praecox, which means they are suitable for smaller tanks (not nano)

They have a slightly different body shape than your larger typical rainbow as well.

Go take a look if are looking for a harder to find rainbow.

These little guys are such a pretty fish!

Forgot a species link
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Pygmaea.htm

picture is not as good as they are in person.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish it was Melanotaenia maccullochi
Might try giving him a call and seeing if he can order them. I am not sure that specie has made it to the fish farms. Talk to Larry (in the Colorado aquarium society) he has 30+ species of rainbowfish, all are known liniage and known collection points. If all else fails ask in the Eggchange on rainbow-fish.org

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is at the Thornton location. I am not sure if he has any left, Ron might be along at some point to verify. You can always call down as well. the 4 I got are doing GREAT. They are still in my holding tank for another week (big rescape on my 40b on sat. and did not want to increase the bio load so quickly)

pretty fish, very pretty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts