The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Interesting piece of wood! But I do not recognize it.
Was it in the aquatics section?
Is it dense, heavy enough to sink with just a little soaking?
Any tag on it that might ID who supplied it to the store?
Do the people in the store know anything about it?

·
I v(^o^)v shrimp
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting piece of wood! But I do not recognize it.
Was it in the aquatics section?
Is it dense, heavy enough to sink with just a little soaking?
Any tag on it that might ID who supplied it to the store?
Do the people in the store know anything about it?
That is why i try to find out it, they told me it is driftwood with unknown name, I saw they put it in their fish tank

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is Twisted Rosewood! I have some, I LOVE it!!!

·
I v(^o^)v shrimp
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a piece of that at Pacific( by the color of the price tag I guess you got it there too), it was pricey. Mine does not sink. It has been soaking for close to 3 weeks and still floats.
If you had it , then do you know what name of that wood?

·
Registered
802 Posts
"Twisted rosewood" is certainly not a species name and not even a trade name I recognize. Rosewood is a genus of timber ("Dalbergia") that is rare and expensive enough to not be thrown into aquariums. Like "diamond" and "gold", the term "rosewood" gets thrown around to help market many other less valuable items, but it sure doesn't help identify this wood any.

If it sinks, looks nice and is not toxic, who cares what species it is?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If it were in my area, I might guess it to be sumac. But since none of that is true, that ID might not fit.
The bigger question might be what type water you have and how much the wood will effect your water. If your water is soft, with little buffering, it can change the PH quite a lot.
Wood is not a real problem but it does pay to test and watch for what it might do.

·
Registered
396 Posts
"Twisted rosewood" is certainly not a species name and not even a trade name I recognize. Rosewood is a genus of timber ("Dalbergia") that is rare and expensive enough to not be thrown into aquariums. Like "diamond" and "gold", the term "rosewood" gets thrown around to help market many other less valuable items, but it sure doesn't help identify this wood any.
I think that's Innovative Marine's coinage for this product, which does look similar (but I guess a lot of roots would). Not sure about ID -- or if it'd even be possible from these chunks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts