The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a shelf that I'd like to install an aquarium on, but I'm having trouble finding the right tank. My available dimensions are 24" long x 8" tall x 12" wide, though I'm definitely OK with something that doesn't fill that entire footprint. I've looked at the PETCO bookshelf aquarium (very close, but a bit too tall) and the GLA bookshelf aquarium (a foot too long, in this case.) Does anyone know of a tank that fits the bill?

I'm thinking about buying glass or acrylic and making my own, but I'm not really in the mood to do that and usually have ended up spending a whole lot more DIYing it in the past. Heck, I could mail order tempered glass for less than my local glass shop will gouge me for plate. Might be worth my time, actually...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it has to be 8" tall at most. I don't really care about buying it locally, just wondering if there is a wacky sized tank out there that I haven't been able to find. I don't particularly care if it fills the shelf either.

If I can't find the tank I'm after, I'm thinking about buying a 10 gallon tank, disassembling it, cutting the top 5" off, then reassembling it. Even if I don't make perfect cuts in the height dimension, all of the sealed edges will be straight and fit well, and I can put a rim on the top without too much trouble to even out the look of it.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
No, it has to be 8" tall at most. I don't really care about buying it locally, just wondering if there is a wacky sized tank out there that I haven't been able to find. I don't particularly care if it fills the shelf either.

If I can't find the tank I'm after, I'm thinking about buying a 10 gallon tank, disassembling it, cutting the top 5" off, then reassembling it. Even if I don't make perfect cuts in the height dimension, all of the sealed edges will be straight and fit well, and I can put a rim on the top without too much trouble to even out the look of it.
You could get an ADA 60F. If you were looking at a petco one, probably not the budget you want:

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_25_29&products_id=278

Mr. Aqua may make something too. 4

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were looking at a petco one, probably not the budget you want
Didn't say anything about price, only availability
According to page:
Price: $90.00
Indeed. Again, I didn't say anything about the price range I was looking for, only for the tank's availability. If you google bookshelf aquarium, virtually every hit gives the PETCO version, but looking at that or providing it as a reference does not preclude me from being interested in other things. I also commented on the GLA tank that is priced at about the same as the ADA, and even the PETCO tank is $40 or so, not exactly cheap for a 6 gallon tank. I do appreciate the link, but I'm not sure why you're concerned with my finances...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't think talontsiawd is worried about your finances. There are lots of people on this site who think $90 is expensive for an 8.6 gallon tank. It seems like he/she was speaking more to general market price and what most are willing to spend. Good luck with finding something that fits!

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I don't think talontsiawd is worried about your finances. There are lots of people on this site who think $90 is expensive for an 8.6 gallon tank. It seems like he/she was speaking more to general market price and what most are willing to spend. Good luck with finding something that fits!
Here:

If you were looking at a petco one, probably not the budget
I never said it was the best solution. Sorry I looked things up and went over tank size;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.