The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a juvenile neocaridina shrimp. My parameters seem to be in the correct ranges. I think it's just this one. The rest of my shrimp seem ok today.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I agree, probably a failed molt.... not necessarily caused by incorrect parameters.... could also be caused by diet.

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
It's a juvenile neocaridina shrimp. My parameters seem to be in the correct ranges. I think it's just this one. The rest of my shrimp seem ok today.
But what are your water parameters? Feeding amount & schedule?

While molting problems aren't exactly rare, I find them to be a telltale sign of other problems. Usually involves a diet containing too much protein and/or some parameter instability/parameters that aren't ideal. Hence those specific questions. They're not meant to be insulting or crass - legit questions.

Sometimes protein amounts can't be easily controlled if a snail or fish has died or another shrimp has kicked the bucket. I find these scenarios usually only impact juvenile shrimp because they're growing quickly and molting all the time. Once they hit adulthood, it's less of an issue but does pop up from time to time on the forum.

I've had a few shrimp end up like that and then molt again a short time later and be fine. It's wild when the entire shell is just hanging on.

60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My parameters are:
ph: 7
kh: 4
gh: 4
TDS: 83

These parameters are from today. Not so accurate because I just did a water change yesterday. I haven't recorded my parameters from before. I feed every 2 - 3 days with 1/3 Shrimp Dinner Pad, some veggies, or small amounts of Ebita Breed Quatro 2. There are around 15 adults and 40 juvenile Painted Fire Reds. I think it's caused by the large amounts of protein. I think one of my shrimp died and I couldn't find it.

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
That gH probably needs to be doubled from 4 degrees.

Those shrimp-specific foods are pretty protein-heavy - especially the Shrimp Dinner Pad (fish parts, squid, etc used as the emulsifier in large amounts) I'd try feeding that one once per week or maybe twice per month. High protein combined with an extremely low water hardness means this is unfortunately likely to happen again.

Do you remove what your shrimp don't eat within an hour or so? Just to be on the safe side.

You're on top of things now, so that's a good thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts