The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I soaked plant in hydrogen peroxide and water for a couple of minutes and I still got this. When I first had it I took it out and it had the smell of rotten eggs and the texture of slimy easily breakable gel. Is this something from the plant its' self? It does appear around wounded areas.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
It's fungus. Normally on new driftwood it's very common. However it looks like that part of the rhizome is rotting. I'd just cut away the affected area before it spreads. Anubias seem susceptible to a good variety of rhizome infections.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Whatever it actually is, you can suck it off with a piece of airhose tubing fairly easily, but it will probably keep coming back. I get a similar substance on my suction cups sometimes, and on the ends of tubing running CO2.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is because the plant is starting to rot, then could someone tell me what would cause it to rot a few days after buying it.I did remove it and it came back two days later.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Several reasons. If the rhizome was damaged or it received a bacteria infection from prior damage and this is only the secondary infection afflicting the rotting tissue. You can look up anubias rhizome disease and you'll see some interesting stuff. If the rhizome is soft in anyway cut it off it's done with. The part with leaves and even like a centimeter of rhizome is enough for it to keep going.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Rhizome is going to die. Say good bye to the plant.

Your best remedy regarding the rhizome is pulling it out of your tank.

Wash away anything that is rotted out, and with some handsoap wash the rhizome clean.
When it stops stinking, its good to go.

Get some organic substrate in a jar, add some water to make it damp. Put rhizome into jar, and put a light on it 24/7. This will help your rhizome recover from the infection, and with luck in 2 months you'll be able to plant a sexy rhizome.

This has worked for me in the past. The last one I had to save was a 2 foot long mother plant. 1/2 of it is safe and sound regrowing. Super sexy.

-Gordon

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm Just going to toss it and get another one and see what happens. Thank you for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.