The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a lipstick goby from Invertz Factory and later read that they don't care for the levels of CO2 found in high tech tanks. My goby starts climbing the sides of the tank whenever the CO2 is on and the only low tech tank I have is my blue tiger shrimp tank. For obvious reasons, I don't want to risk the goby munching on baby (or adult) shrimp but would prefer not to have to get rid of him. Is anyone keeping these gobies with shrimp other than RCS? The reason I specify RCS is because I think most of us agree that it isn't too big of a deal if we lose a few RCS but I hesitate to take the risk with my $10 a piece blue tigers.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I'm pretty sure gobies eat shrimp for a living. :(

I don't recommend it. I think what you might want to do is set up a new tank for him. Come on, this is great news! You have a legitimate reason to set up a new tank! :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Generally speaking, what fits in goby's mouth goes in goby's mouth.

Here's your excuse to start a brand new hillstream tank though.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was afraid of. I found several threads on here where people said they were ignoring their shrimp and concentrating on algae but I wasn't willing to gamble with my blue tigers and I'm glad I didn't! Unfortunately, I think that my husband would kill me if I set up another tank so, I guess I'll have to find a new home for him. :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lipstick goby is aka Sicyopus jonklaasi. According to Fishbase they are carnivores found in fast flowing streams. Information at this site:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=10800

I keep a number of different gobies with shrimp, but I wouldn't with this particular one.
Can you tell us which gobies you keep (and with what kinds of shrimp)? I love gobies and am setting up a new large tank. I'm planning on keeping shrimp in there but would love to also keep some gobies so this would be super helpful info if you've had success keeping both together. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You probably could, they're brackish however, the true freshwater ones are very very rare in the hobby.

The neon blue line goby isn't shrimp safe but is the closest you'll get since it stays tiny is an algaephore and only predates on babies in a very opportunistic way. It's also oh so very pretty when in breeding colours, it does need a minimum of 24" of tank though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
BBGs will play nice with adult Cherries, but the babies are food. Some people actually use them as a constant food source for the BBGs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can you tell us which gobies you keep (and with what kinds of shrimp)? I love gobies and am setting up a new large tank. I'm planning on keeping shrimp in there but would love to also keep some gobies so this would be super helpful info if you've had success keeping both together. Thanks!
Presently I have a 55 gal. low brackish tank with Brachygobius nunus sp. (dwarf Bumblebee goby), Redigobius balteatus (Rhinohorn Goby), and Gobioides broussonetti (Dragon Goby). The shrimp in with them are adult Red Cherry shrimp (N. heteropoda var. red), Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes sp.), and Amano Shrimp (C. multidentata).

Be aware that there are a number of Bumblebee gobies and the larger ones may be more inclined to eat the shrimp. More info on BBG species here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachygobius

I've included a few photos, the first is my Dragon feeding with the shrimp, next he is submitting to being "cleaned" which he loves, and last is with one of the BBG.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one I bought is actually Stiphodon sp. I think it was listed as lipstick goby but after looking at pictures, Stiphodon sp. is a better match. Not that it matters, after the advice I've received here, there's no way I'm going to chance it.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I have 3 Neon Blue gobies (Stiphodon sp.) So far they've never bothered the shrimp in my tank. They just eat the algae that grows on the leaves of the plants and on the back of the tank.

Never had a problem with them!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 3 Neon Blue gobies (Stiphodon sp.) So far they've never bothered the shrimp in my tank. They just eat the algae that grows on the leaves of the plants and on the back of the tank.

Never had a problem with them!
It seems opinions are split about 50/50 on this and I just can't justify the risk with my expensive blue tigers. It's a shame that I have to give him up, I really would have liked to see what it does to the BBA in my tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts