The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone keep Red cherry Shrimp with Cherry barbs for a cherry themed tank?

You know how there is some old women lawyer named like All-red and her thing is that she wears all red ?

Well, do you think it would be cool to have a all red themed tank with Red cherry shrimp, cherry barbs, black fined rosy barbs(red color), red betta and every red fish you can find? That would be an interesting tank huh? :proud:

Anyway, back to the original question, how are cherry barbs with red cherry shrimp?

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The barbs will make quick work of the shrimp.
Are you talking about barbs in general or the red cherry barbs?

The red cherry barb is like the glow light or neon tetra of the barb world.

They don't bother anyone in my other 75 gallon tank and are very timid.

Have you seen them eating the red cherry shrimp first hand or know someone who tried it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
They pick antennae and legs until they notice there is a whole meal attached, esp. after molting. Your larger tank more than likely has enough room that your barbs in there are not fighting for food or territory.

Please keep hands off glass.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They pick antennae and legs until they notice there is a whole meal attached, esp. after molting. Your larger tank more than likely has enough room that your barbs in there are not fighting for food or territory.

Please keep hands off glass.
You have seen this happen before?

Currently my cherry Barbs are inside my 75 gallon tank. I did add 2 big amano ( algae eating shrimp) which are much larger than cherry barb and look like mini lobsters.

Do you think the amano shrimp are safe?

Thanks.

·
Banned
483 Posts
barbs

You cannot mix shrimp with fish period. The only fish that can co-exist with shrimp is the oto catfish.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wouldn't suggest keeping shrimp with cherry barbs. My cherry barbs are not at all timid. They run my tank. If it wasn't for the fact that they're small they would probably pick the fins off the other fish.

They're not aggressive, just extremely active and always looking for a meal.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i keep red cherry shrimp with rummy nose, neons, Harlequin Rasbora and a very docile Beta.

shrimp thrive in that tank
So:

rummy nose tetra: YES
Neon Tetra: YES
Glow Light Tetra: YES
White Cloud: YES
Precilla Tetra: ???? Peaceful and max size 2 inches(like other 3 tetra on the list)

Any idea about the Priscilla Tetra or the cherry barb in your opinion? Also, do you agree with my mini list of fish ok with red cherry shrimp?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I keep shrimp in all of my tanks with no problems. 3 of my tanks have small sized fish like celestrial pearl danios, chili rasboras, and ember tetras (See my signature). They don't bother my shrimp at all although I imagine they will grab a baby shrimp or 2. That's why I keep my tanks heavily planted to give the babies plenty of places to hide. I went with the colored theme like you were discussing. The chili rasboras and cherry shrimp are my red tank. The ember tetras and the orange shrimp are my--obviously--orange tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.