The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever keep this fish? I found some info online, but wasn't sure if they do ok in tanks with c02 and ferts.

The are very colorful and playful so it would be nice in a small 18 gallon hex.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I got a pair at a LFS for $1.99 each! They're always "he'in and she'in". I might move them to the QT tank. I think I had a spawn, because I have 1 fry in there now that appeared after I moved a big mass of flating Riccia into it. It may be a Gertrude, but it's still too small to tell and I have other Blue Eyed Rainbows, so it could be from one of them, too.

Definitely on of my favorite fish. I really love the smaller more intricate ones.

Tommy

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have half a dozen of these little guys and I love them. They're very active and playful--lots of fun to watch. I'm setting up a breeding tank for them right now (it's filling with water) and I'm hopeful that in a species tank I'll wind up with some fry. I have had fry show up before in a tank with them, but that was several years ago.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
They are here! I had one doa..{R.I.P. Little fish:icon_cry:} but he sent three extra! I got them from anubias design. I am delighted, they are such tiny,cute babies.:icon_bigg

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pseudomugil gertrudae.. great fish i had two i na 5 gal tank i never got them to breed for me if any one has some for sale i would love to get some...

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
I've kept gertrudae and furcatus and both of them do very well in planted tanks with CO2 and ferts. The Pseudomugil species can even tolerate somewhat acidic water just fine. Pseudomugils are some of my favorite fish to keep. They're always very active and entertaining.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have 10 P. Gertrudae in a 10 gallon tank, and I just LOVE them!

They do very well and show best colour and behavior when kept in heavily planted tanks. They're extremely active, constantly chasing, displaying and spawning.

You need the tiniest food to feed them. Mine get Baby brine shrimp, Cyclop-eeze, finely crushed flakes, and crushed Hikari micro pellets.

These teeny fish are not shy in the least, and will come swarming to the top and front of the tank when they see you.

Get at least as many males as females.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts