The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pick up 15 today for my 55g. I'm curious as to how big they actually get? I've read 2-1/2" to 3" since placing my order, but my lfs employee said 1-1/2" when I ordered them.
Also just read that they are in the danio family - are they hyper like danios? lol
Won't mind if they school together. The employee at the lfs said they school really nicely. That's why I ordered them, small & schooling. I hope some of that's true!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I am about to pick up 15 today for my 55g. I'm curious as to how big they actually get? I've read 2-1/2" to 3" since placing my order, but my lfs employee said 1-1/2" when I ordered them.
Also just read that they are in the danio family - are they hyper like danios? lol
Won't mind if they school together. The employee at the lfs said they school really nicely. That's why I ordered them, small & schooling. I hope some of that's true!
They are not a Danio, but are a Rainbowfish.

They get to be upwards of 3.2".

They are also a hardwater fish, and will do best with hard water.

Most rainbows are very active fish, My Dwarf Neon Rainbows are constantly moving around the tank, only stopping for a second or two lol

I would get no less than 6, with a greater number of females than males.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Marosatherina&species=ladigesi&id=859

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up 15 today - they are all approx. 1-1/4" - 1-3/4". I love their subtle colors! Ate with gusto right form the start, I can see they'll be little hogs. The Cardinals never got a bite of the food. The lighting at the lfs is bleak - I think it's only the overhead ceiling lights if I remember correctly. The blue streak shows up much better at home, and the eyes! I didn't realize in the lfs that their eyes are iridescent lemon/lime green. Like day-glo mountain dew - lol. I think I'm going to like them a lot.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The cardinals can't get anything? In my experience they're fluorescent colored little aquatic pigs. But I think the celebes rainbows are mainly surface dwellers, so there shouldn't be much of a conflict though.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My cardinals were extra, extra tiny when I got them at Petsmart - barely more than 1/4", and they showed very little color. They're still the smallest fish in the tank at about an inch, and they tend to stay near the bottom. Right now the celebese are all over the place exploring. They must not be fed prior to being transported - my lfs just took delivery this afternoon. We're near the southwest corner of Virginia, the fish supplier is from Georgia. (they drive a truck up). So they were really hungry.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a few celebes rainbowfish in my current setup. They have awesome color and it's very interesting to watch when they display all of their fins! Kinda reminds me of a frilled lizard.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I really like them - but I may have to keep them in a species tank - they are eating all the food! I gave a second, light feeding of dried bloodworms just now, and the black tetras mix it up with the rainbows evenly, but the cardinals just hide in a corner. They didn't get any food from either feeding. Before they would come out & eat with the other fish in the tank. Both the rams are acting all stressed & haven't fed, either. (but the male may be sick) The rams have acted weird since I did my water change this morning - hiding, not eating, acting stressed. The male poped up with either fungus, columnaris, or maybe even odd patches of slime coat (is that even possible?) since the water change. I treated the tank with aquarium salt, and he looks better already. At least I hope I'm not seeing "wishful thinking". I just turned their light out to hopefully ease the stress. I think adding 15 new fish was probably a dumb idea, but the lfs said it would be fine & not overcrowding. (it's a 55g)
Once I get the 55 I'me picking up tomorrow set up & cycled, I'll divide up the fish. I just pray it's not columnaris or they're all doomed, from what I've read...

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
How densely planted is your tank? I find that cardinals (and most fish in general) will be less skittish if more cover and hiding places are available to them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In the wild they come from semi-brackish water and that is why they like it hard. Some will adapt but they can be challenging at times..... Their habitat is very similar to that where many of the signifers are found along the coast of Queensland Australia.. like the conditions in the Ross River.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts