The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this is the wrong place, just assuming it would go here.
I know a lot of people are scared of bugs, but I've always found them fascinating. I had a Ferocious Water Bug (http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Ferocious-Water-Bug-Adults-bic906.htm) in a small 5g planted tank for a year, but it sadly died a couple of days ago. Need to order another one...
Just wanting to know if I am alone here with my interest in aquatic bugs, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
No. That sounds and look horrifying. I thought bamboo shrimp were gross but these....my goodness. I'm not sure where you can get them but there are arthropod forums out there and I think carolina biological supply stocks them occasionally...Finding them in the wild sounds kinda fun though although I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am afraid the only bugs i keep are those that are feed to my bearded dragon. lol

As a kid though i used to always be fascinated and keep bugs, but up here there are no really amazing and different types. haha

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, I figured most people would be scared of them.
They are kind of scary looking, but I love to watch them go after something to eat. They are very ferocious when hungry.
I'll admit, they do look intimidating...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I tried keeping some water bugs that I found in local puddles until one latched on to a newt 10 times it's size and somehow KILLED IT. For it's effort it earned a one way trip into the garbage.
Since then I stick to fish and shrimp, since they are much more charming and much less.... hideous. :icon_mrgr
Keep in mind those bugs will likely latch onto fish and shrimp and anything else moving in the tank if they can. BLECH.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I kept a water beetle in college (actually my now-wife did) and it was pretty sweet. It would keep an air bubble underneath it when it went below water, so it looked like he was chromed out on his underside. He would eat feeder fish, which was very entertaining, and he let one go one day until it was too big for him. That fish eventually got me into this wonderful hobby we are in. So yeah, keeping bugs got me deeper into the aquaria hole :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I did a lot of rapid bio-assesments in a few college classes, basically collecting and IDing any and all bugs found in a section of a stream/river. Lots of cool stuff out there, but Im mostly familiar with wild stream inverts. I would love to set up a stream tank, something long with lots of flow and rocks, all intakes on one side outflows on the other.
If I ever have room for another tank I would def try it out. Ive probably IDed over 50 species of "bugs" in a single sample before...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would love to set up a stream tank, something long with lots of flow and rocks, all intakes on one side outflows on the other.
If I ever have room for another tank I would def try it out. Ive probably IDed over 50 species of "bugs" in a single sample before...
I've got this going with a 55 gallon native fish tank, rather than bugs. It's all darters, dace, and crayfish; they're a lot of fun to watch. If I had it to do over again I would use a 40 breeder, or maybe a 40 long even, rather than the 55. The height adds little to the tank, but it was on super sale. :)

I think the coolest part is that the substrate layout changes, even the larger rocks. The high flow (a 700 gph pump running one way through the tank along with another 200 gph for the filter. Causes all of the sand and pebbles to move about every time a fish swims nearby, and the fish themselves enjoy making hollows under the larger rocks and digging pits in the sand. The only things that haven't moved are 10+ pound rocks that were firmly buried.

·
Registered
436 Posts
nice jason! i tryed hooking people here up with just about any spp of fish found in the state, I come across and handle most each day at work... no one was interested. But I had a tessilated darter and 4-5 different sunfish spp including hybrids in my 220 for a while. They were liberated not too long after.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.