The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a new tank and want to stick with solely very small fish. Looking for something a little different than neon tetras. Do they shoal together in your tank? Hoping to find about 20 of them. My next issue is finding a source for them. So far everyone I have checked has either been out of stock or they don’t even list them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure about axelrod rasbora, but I keep
- Boraras brigittae (AKA chili rasboras or mosquito rasboras)
- Boraras urophthalmoides (AKA least rasbora or exclamation point rasbora)
in my shrimp tanks and I love them!

They definitely shoal, but also aren't too shy. They are wonderful little fish to watch in a smaller tank. I only bought them as a small fish to try to keep down the numbers of micro-fauna in my shrimp tanks, but now they're my favourite fish I think, especially now they're maturing slightly and are colouring up. Need to give some thought to feeding though as they have very small mouths (hence why pretty safe for a shrimp tank). My bigger fish can eat the Dr Bassler M-size food I have (0.5-0.8mm pellets according to the label), but the smaller fish struggled getting these down. Actually they all prefer the shrimp food, especially the Glas Garten Shrimp Baby powder, which makes life easier. Oh and they love chasing freshly hatched brine shrimp of course!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
How different are we talking here? Because you can always buy green neons (P. simulans) instead haha. Are you trying to go for nano sized super neon fish? Sundadanios (I forgot they get called axelrod rasboras) are hard to get regardless, and they're really just super tiny. Seems like they're also fairly fragile as well from when I was trying to see if I should buy some the other year. P. simulans does get larger, but it is smaller than the average neon, and also comes with that neon blue streak. There's also the kubotai rasbora (Microdevario kubotai) as well, which might be easier to find as well.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Honestly compared to various tetras I have kept I am not as impressed with the small rasboras. Unless you need microfish for a very small tank I would stick with larger fish. I'm keeping chili rasboras, neon rasboras (Sundadanio goblinus I believe) and cherry spot rasboras (Rasbora rubrodorsalis). Of all of them the cherry spot are the largest and most interesting (school fairly well). Chilis and the neon rasboras are honestly so tiny you can't see them from across the room and my old eyes can't even see them that well up close. The chilis sort of school together but the Sundadanio only do when they are scared. Otherwise they are fairly scattered around the tank. I've kept the green rasboras in the past too (Microdevario kubatai) and was not that excited by them either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone

I actually have some green neons in my other tank. Was Just hoping for something different. Tank is a 25” cube so I could go for bigger fish. I just like the look of the tiny ones in a planted tank better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.