The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone
does anyone keep an amazon sword in small tank? especially in less than 5 gal?
i got 5 small amazon sword bleheri and 1 small amazon sword ozelot in 3 gal walstad tank (12x8x8")
is it possible to keep them small and short? i dont dosing nutrients and no co2 injection if in this environment do they keep small and short? or will outgrow my tank and cover other smaller plants? i also got small cryptocoryne spiralis which maybe grow same tall as sword plants
my mistake as a beginner did not research before buying those plants , had no idea they will grow such a crazy big and tall but i really love how their appearance

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ozelot Might be ok.. these plants have massive root structures as well as foliage.

I think a 5 gallon is too small for this plant, unless it is the Only thing in the tank.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
hi everyone
does anyone keep an amazon sword in small tank? especially in less than 5 gal?
i got 5 small amazon sword bleheri and 1 small amazon sword ozelot in 3 gal walstad tank (12x8x8")
is it possible to keep them small and short? i dont dosing nutrients and no co2 injection if in this environment do they keep small and short? or will outgrow my tank and cover other smaller plants? i also got small cryptocoryne spiralis which maybe grow same tall as sword plants
my mistake as a beginner did not research before buying those plants , had no idea they will grow such a crazy big and tall but i really love how their appearance
An 8" tall tank is too small for the plants you mentioned or even amazon compacta when you consider that you need probably 1.5 to 2" of substrate at a minimum. Basically what will happen is the plants will grow bigger and taller leaves and drape across the surface and/or go straight out of the water. They will then shade the other plants likely making them not grow well. If it were my tank I'd reconsider the plant.

·
Registered
591 Posts
bleheri is a large plant; you want something like parviflorus "tropica" which is an extremely nice plant but stays short. You might get away with a red flame, ozelot or kleiner prinz (or is that prinz kleiner). I'd go with the parviflorus "tropica" which is a smaller version than the plain parviflorus. Very nice plant much nicer than the ugly pygmy sword (or similar).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts