The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took one look at the pic of this seahorse advancedaquarist.com tank of the month and instantly went "oooohhh, pink and purple bubble plants! I want!"

That photo looks very fairytale-ish with the seahorse sitting amongst the macro algae like that. I'm really inspired to try it myself now. Anyone else here have any experience themselves with saltwater plants? Share some insight maybe? :)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Tom Barr posted an awesome macro algae tank over on Aquarium Advice months ago. It was really a work of art.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Me, too! I've been drooooooling for a month or so now over some of those SW plants.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoazas!! That's all algae?!? I'm gobsmacked.

Can you pass on some details? Lights? CO2? The same ferts dosing as FW? Or do macro-algae have different nutrient needs? I have many many questions!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Awesome, Tom! Can you post a plant list as well? I'd like to look some of those up.

·
Banned
582 Posts
i tried in a 10 gallon. BIG MISTAKE for noob to salt water! I later moved everything into a 20 gallon long, but just as I was getting the water parameters in check and ready to really start adding macros, I had to sell the tank.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Instead of CO2, add lots and lots of aeration, skimmer spray, venturi, lots of mixing, powerheads etc.

I dose a tiny amount of PO4, but mainly lots of Fe/Mn and KNO3.
Generally a decent supply will come from a main reef tank to a refugium, but not in these plant only tanks. Too much PO4= diatom blooms. So adding a pulse of say 0.2ppm or less 2x a week is about all most anyone would ever need to do from what I've seen with the species I've gown.

But a lot less is known about their horticulture in aquariums than plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow

That stuff is absolutely stunning. I never thought of doing that...hmmm. I do scuba dive in Monterey sometimes, it would be possible to collect plants. But yikes, I've never done salt water. It seems really intimidating! Gorgeous stuff though!:icon_surp

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh well. After a bit of research and asking at the lfs it seems most of that macro algae is illegal to import into Australia, so there's only about three types available. Basically just used in refugiums. So I guess I'll have to shelve any dreams about an aquascaped macro algae tank. :(

Maybe I'll try something easier now instead, like a coral reef. ;)

Tom, I'm curious as to the increased aeration you use for macro algae to totally blow off the CO2. So does that mean CO2 suppresses macro algae as it does micro algae? Or with no higher order plants to feed to outcompete the algae, CO2 then becomes unnecessary anyway?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I got a foot or so long strand of caluerpia, the razor blade kind.
it looks nice, was only 2$, but my yekllow tang and emerald crab are having a feild feast on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts