The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several different plants that will need to be trimmed sometime soon. Does anyone have a good guideline for trimming different types of plants? This would be a really helpful tool, for me and others as well. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I usually half my stem plants, trim hairgrass to around 1" once a month. I discard the rooted half of the stems (unless you want to top your stems and grow double points from the cut) and replant the tops. If you do top the plants they will grow in denser than before but i have found topping plants and waiting for the double head to grow. Plant an inch before the branching head. It gives a great sense of depth and doubles the density of the plant. Alas remember when they get tall you have to start the topping process over again because effectively the plants do grow doubles and you'll eventually have to trim and replant. I always find myself trimming the foreground and background plants. Good luck, hoped this helped.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I have several different plants that will need to be trimmed sometime soon. Does anyone have a good guideline for trimming different types of plants? This would be a really helpful tool, for me and others as well. Thanks
Hi StraightAddicted,

Here is an excellent timeline I use with good results.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
The main thing to decide is if you want to keep the top or the bottom. Keeping the tops looks better after trim as you can't even tell you trimmed. Plus, with colorful plants, you get the most colorful part right on top. I have never done this as the work involved just doesn't seem worth it.

If you cut the top, the disadvantage is it's kind of ugly for a few days. You want to cut everything to the shape desired. That may just be a straight line, an angle, or something 3 dimensional. It doesn't really matter. If you mess up, no biggie, they will grow back. I trim mine based on how fast they grow. If I get an inch of growth per week or less, I may only trim off about an inch. If it is a high tech tank where I get a few inches, I may trim in half, or more. The more aggressive the plant growth, the more aggressively I trim.

If you want more of the plant, then do both. Cut the tops and replant the bottoms without removing anything.

Lastly, there is really no right or wrong way to do this with stems. If you cut too much, it's still going to grow back. To little, just means your next trimming will come sooner. Over time you will develop a system. If you are really trying to shape your plants, I recommend cutting the tops and keeping the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.