The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 gallon planted freshwater aquarium. In May 2021, I purchased and began using the Easy-Life Potassium test kit and I have run 23 tests twice per week and to tell you the truth, I could not differentiate one result from another and I had used the test kit on distilled, RO, after adding different amounts of Seachem Potassium to my tank at different times.

I just purchased and received the Salifert Potassium for freshwater test kit and ran my first test today and I have to say that I was easily able to differentiate a color change after adding a certain number of drops of the 3rd bottom of solution (K3).

Based on the results from the Salifert test, I can clearly see I have been adding too much Potassium which I will rectify starting with my next fert day. I basically add ferts to my tank twice per week. Also based on the results from a competing kit, I sent an email to Easy-Life so I await their feedback. I would like to think that I simply received a bad test kit batch from Easy-Life.

Based on first impressions, I do prefer the Salifert Freshwater Potassium test kit over the Easy-Life kit.

During this pandemic period, it has been quite difficult to find affordable Freshwater Potassium test kits.

I want to see what experiences others in the Planted Tank Forum may have had with the Easy-Life Potassium Test kit.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See this thread, which I just updated: Potassium Test Kits
-

Thanks for sharing the thread.

I don't see a consensus on the thread but can see several others also seem to have questionable results from Easy-Life and others seem to also prefer the Salifert test kit as I do. I see several mention Easy-Life "in theory" should be accurate in the 5-15ppm range. Now if this statement actually has any merit at all, then that means I simply got a bad test kit because I have NOT found that to be the case in the kit I received.

In the case of defective batches, how many others & how many times have others received a defective batch of Easy-Life?

I am not running a commercial laboratory and rely on companies that produce these kits to have acceptable levels of quality control in their production methods; maybe I am asking too much?

Some of the Hach and other Potassium test kits I have seen may run in the $400 dollar range but I am not seeking that level of precision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts