The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
When I've had it, it branched from the base. I'd separate out the stems and plant them as new plants. Just get the roots in the substrate and it'll be good to go. If it starts growing very tall vertically you can cut the stem in half and babies will branch out of the base and the top will take root again.

Just as an aside...

Have you ever had one of those plants for outside - "Hen and Chicks"?

It kinda reminds me of that :hihi:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I've had it, it branched from the base. I'd separate out the stems and plant them as new plants. Just get the roots in the substrate and it'll be good to go. If it starts growing very tall vertically you can cut the stem in half and babies will branch out of the base and the top will take root again.

Just as an aside...

Have you ever had one of those plants for outside - "Hen and Chicks"?

It kinda reminds me of that :hihi:
So its just a stem plant then, right.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wait for the plant to about like 6 inches then cut 3 to 4 inches from the top. Then replant it, trust me downoi grows extremely slow!!! Thats why some people like havening downoi.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait for the plant to about like 6 inches then cut 3 to 4 inches from the top. Then replant it, trust me downoi grows extremely slow!!! Thats why some people like havening downoi.
Thanx alot. I forget where I saw it, but when I saw the downoi in a fully aquascaped tank I knew I wanted it.

thanx,
mark

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Downoi is a tricky plant to grow, much like some Tonina.
Best advice is to get one or two plants and see how they
do before investing in a bunch of them. I'm no expert,
but I tried both plants and they failed on me in weeks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Downoi is a tricky plant to grow, much like some Tonina.
Best advice is to get one or two plants and see how they
do before investing in a bunch of them. I'm no expert,
but I tried both plants and they failed on me in weeks.
Well, thats pretty much what Im doing now I have 2 plants and we'll see what happens.
thanx,
mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
This thread clarified how Downoi grow's for me also.. to tell you the truth until a couple of months ago I didn't know it was a stem plant. But Jen is right, it is a unique one! All the pics I usually see are the tops planted in the front of the aquarium, I just figured it was like a rosette type plant. Nice pics everyone :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This thread clarified how Downoi grow's for me also.. to tell you the truth until a couple of months ago I didn't know it was a stem plant. But Jen is right, it is a unique one! All the pics I usually see are the tops planted in the front of the aquarium, I just figured it was like a rosette type plant. Nice pics everyone :)
That was all I have seen also, but thanx to the replies I have a good idea what to do with it now. By the way, it is growing well, but slow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.