The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a group of 7 tapajos. 3-3.5" ish

I just got them and they seem to be acclimating well. One of the bigger ones has already claimed a spot and is really good at keeping it his or her own.

Is this normal for them to define territory so quickly?

Will he relax more with time and let others in his area?

Any other tips or helpful knowledge about raising this fish is very welcomed.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
No one eh?
Ha! I asked about geophagus on this forum a month or so ago, but got no responses either. My parents used to keep them (Both Ichthyologists, but passed, RIP), and from what I recall they were peaceful enough. I don't see anyone keeping them much any more. I've never seen them an any of my LFS. You may want to keep a journal so others like myself can watch. Very beautiful and peaceful as I recall. They do get about 6 inches in aquarium don't they?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The tapajos get 4-6 inches they are one of the smallest geos.

Many geos get larger though.
Yea, I remember they were fun to watch, sifting through the sand substrate. I suppose people with planted tanks would be very nervous around such a fish! They would move so much sand in a day, and create mounds all over the tank. Do you have plants? I would think plants would need to be in pots, or very well establish.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I worked in a shop we used to carry them occasionally. Seemed like a lot of other SA Cichlids, but perhaps a bit more docile. If one has claimed a spot it doubtful they will relinquish it soon, but maybe in the future.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about making them not so shy? They spook easily. They have great color for being so young but hide alot.

They come out to eat with a passion and will eat till they are full. They go back to hiding out once done.

Its only them in the 75g with lots of cover.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm very excited to hear someone has these beauties. I'd love to hear about your setup for them. Do they sift through the sand much yet? Once they are acclimated I'm sure you'll see that behavior more often. I honestly have not found anyone in the hobby owning or talking about these fish. I'm very happy to hear.

Bump:
What about making them not so shy? They spook easily. They have great color for being so young but hide alot.

They come out to eat with a passion and will eat till they are full. They go back to hiding out once done.

Its only them in the 75g with lots of cover.
It looks like the perfect setup. No plants to pull up, loads of sand to rearrange! I remember a little bit about them. They are shy, but like all shy fish, if there is enough going on around them, they get used to it..? I think. I used to sit and watch them forever. Feeling nostalgic, and must go cry now....hahaha!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm very excited to hear someone has these beauties. I'd love to hear about your setup for them. Do they sift through the sand much yet? Once they are acclimated I'm sure you'll see that behavior more often. I honestly have not found anyone in the hobby owning or talking about these fish. I'm very happy to hear.

Bump:
It looks like the perfect setup. No plants to pull up, loads of sand to rearrange! I remember a little bit about them. They are shy, but like all shy fish, if there is enough going on around them, they get used to it..? I think. I used to sit and watch them forever. Feeling nostalgic, and must go cry now....hahaha!
They do sift, but not as much as they should due to being spooked so easily.

I scaped the tank to fit their needs, lots of love like areas to provide cover. Raised the light to keep it not as bright. Alot of sand as they are earth eaters.

I love watching them too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Are they compatible with small characins? I've read that adding a group of tetras or other small, more active schooling fish can help with the shyness of some dwarf cichlids -- it shows them that there are no larger predators around to worry about. I know these aren't so much a "dwarf" species, but perhaps the same principle applies? Of course, if they will eat small fish, that would be a no-go. :)

Edit: from seriouslyfish.com: Unless breeding this species is surprisingly peaceful and will not predate on fishes larger than a few millimetres in length. Suitable tankmates are far too numerous to list but include most peaceful species enjoying similar environmental conditions.

So, maybe an option if you're not set on a species tank.

Regardless, I bet they get less shy over time, especially if you spend plenty of time in front of the tank.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Are they compatible with small characins? I've read that adding a group of tetras or other small, more active schooling fish can help with the shyness of some dwarf cichlids -- it shows them that there are no larger predators around to worry about. I know these aren't so much a "dwarf" species, but perhaps the same principle applies? Of course, if they will eat small fish, that would be a no-go. :)
That's a great question. I'm trying to remember what other fish my Parents kept with them. They kept them successfully for years with other types of fish, but I just can't remember what fish. I don't believe they will attack or eat other fish, so other species from their native environment may work to bring them out. Such a good idea.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm a fan of rummy nose tetras for the African cichlid biotope, because they will let you know when your water is poor. They lose the bright red nose, and start to die if you don't keep the water chemistry up to standards. Sort of like a canary in coal mines. But like any tetra, they can be annoying as well, and nip at fish. I kept them with angelfish, and they never nipped at them. My angels at the time were very big, like a geophagus. (3" diameter and up.) So I would doubt there would be a problem. But now I keep them with male bettas, and they nip at them...however, that has stopped after the bettas learned and started squaring off with them. :}

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many people keep them with wide body tetras like lemons.

I am really set on keeping a species only tank though. I think with time they should be good, I hope :)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So after receiving more advice on here and other forums I felt the right thing to do was to add some dither fish. I ended up finding some lemon tetras. Picked up 18.

I read that lemon tetras are found in the tapajos river with my geos. So they are a perfect fit.

They also live fairly long and shouldn't add much in terms of waste. Hopefully with a bit of time my geos will come out of they shells and gain some confidence.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So after receiving more advice on here and other forums I felt the right thing to do was to add some dither fish. I ended up finding some lemon tetras. Picked up 18.

I read that lemon tetras are found in the tapajos river with my geos. So they are a perfect fit.

They also live fairly long and shouldn't add much in terms of waste. Hopefully with a bit of time my geos will come out of they shells and gain some confidence.

Cool! Post pics once they're acclimated!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.