The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on fixing a 200ish gallon tank and using it for my main tank. That should provide plenty of room for just about anything. I plan on housing lots of shrimp, but don't want only shrimp. Are there crabs or crays that do well in freshwater planted tanks? I can provide a dry area for them if need be.

What kind of options are there for non-shrimp, non-snail inverts are there for home freshwater aquaria?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Off the top of my head . . .

Thai Micro Crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri)
Golden clams
A whole variety of Crayfish
Vampire Crabs (but these need mostly land and are not "aquatic")
Triops (a variety of species)

And a few arachnids and insects (Often kept in the pet-bug-world, but not so often in the aquarium world):
Dragon Fly Larvae
Hellgrammite (Dobsonfly Larvae)
Fishing Spiders (Dolomedes Okeefinokensis and Dolomedes triton)
Water Scorpion (Ranatra sp. and Nepa sp.)
Ferocious Water Bug (Abedus herberti)
Water Striders
Whirligig Beetles
Sunburst Diving Beetles

There are more, but that's what I can think of at the moment.
As for compatibility, Thai Micro Crabs and Golden clams might work but they are both filter feeders if I remember correctly. Vampire crabs and water striders could work, but that's because they live in a different area than the shrimp. Triops just wont do well with the shrimp's setup. The rest of the mentioned animals would probably eat the shrimp.

If you'd like more info or sources for the animals listed above, I'd be glad to help you out. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to look up those triops. They look cool. It's a shame they won't do well.

Are the crayfish hard on the plants, or aggressive towards the shrimp?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm not up to date on my crayfish, but for the majority, the answer would be "yes" and "yes".
However, I do think there might be a couple commonly kept species that could work. I'll let the experts comment on that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You can add Otto's and threadfin rainbows as far as I know ,these are the only fish harmless to shrimps

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It's generally a good idea to avoid other inverts in a shrimp tank besides say, snails and other shrimp. CPOs are from what I understand a mixed bag, as some can be harmless and others go on rampages.
Shrimp are very fast and can probably escape, but if you have a lot of crays or crabs (which you might in a 200 gallon tank) the stress might kill them if they don't have a safe place, and then if they hide you won't see them.
Note that all crabs except the thai micro crab either need or (for panther crabs) prefer to have dry land. I think with crabs you could do the geosesarma crabs like the vampire crab, as they prefer to be on dry land, but then you would be setting up a riparium or the like instead.
Avoid clams and mussels like the plague, as they won't be seen, require lots of food in the water column, and then die anyway and pollute the tank from their hidden location.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are also dwarf Cray's (CPO) which if memory serves are OK with shrimp. Also don't forget your filter feeder shrimp, bamboo and such. You can also keep things like black worms/copepods that would normally get eaten in a tank with fish
I definitely plan on having some filter shrimp. With 200 gallons, I could have plenty of room for quite a few bamboos and a few of the big African filter shrimp. Only problem is getting enough outcroppings for them to hang out on and filter.

It's generally a good idea to avoid other inverts in a shrimp tank besides say, snails and other shrimp. CPOs are from what I understand a mixed bag, as some can be harmless and others go on rampages.
Shrimp are very fast and can probably escape, but if you have a lot of crays or crabs (which you might in a 200 gallon tank) the stress might kill them if they don't have a safe place, and then if they hide you won't see them.
Note that all crabs except the thai micro crab either need or (for panther crabs) prefer to have dry land. I think with crabs you could do the geosesarma crabs like the vampire crab, as they prefer to be on dry land, but then you would be setting up a riparium or the like instead.
Avoid clams and mussels like the plague, as they won't be seen, require lots of food in the water column, and then die anyway and pollute the tank from their hidden location.
I was thinking about using a few 10 gallon aquariums anchored down to use as a sort of underwater dry space for them. I even looked around for ideas on how to do it and found out that there's a company that makes little underwater crab habitats. I'd likely make my own since they seems pretty simple and I can make a much bigger one with old aquariums.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have three red claw crabs in a 20 gallon long about 3/4 full with a few mollies and countless ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp. They are reproducing like mad. I have seen the crabs snap at shrimp and fish but they are way to slow to catch either. I'd say if you have a well established colony of shrimp and good enough hiding spaces for them, and especially lots of room in that big tank, throwing in 4-5 crabs or something won't hinder them.

I actually moved the ghost shrimp into the crab tank for the purpose of getting rid of them by crab food, but they ended up multiplying instead haha

Also you should note that many crabs you would get would need brackish water to thrive. As far as I know Panther crabs and the Thai micro crabs are the only two that don't need air and can do full freshwater. I wouldn't take that to the bank though. Really you just have to do as much research as you can and just go for it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Past week I was hunting for nerite at a brakish estuary.

I found nice nerites, but, even though they are said to be able to live in freshwater, it was a success in my discus tanks, and a pure disaster in my shrimp tanks running with RO water.

I also found nice driftwoods in the spot, that i collected and brought back home. I put them inside a Permanganate bath (1g for 25 liters) for 3 days, and when I checked, I found this little guy, on top of a driftwood, just under the surface. It's shell is about the size of the thumbnail.

Dumbea crab.jpg

3 others were laying dead at the bottom with 2 gobbies.
It took an hour from the place I collected the driftwoods and when I put them back in the permanganate soluition.... There are a lot of holes in the woods, I didn't suspect there were so many critters inside....

This one looks OK in my fish tank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts