The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

They look like eggs under magnification, but I can't tell what type they may be. I have some celestial pearl danios, chili rasboras, a couple cory cats, and some spiny nerite snails which I am told do not reproduce. These eggs are scattered around on the glass 2-4 inches off the bottom so I cant imagine the fish would put them there, but then again I dunno.

·
Registered
144 Posts
these dont look like nerite eggs to me, they lay single eggs (or at least thats what they look like) that arent transparent, bit of a nuisance really

looks like pond snail eggs to me to be honest, maybe you picked up some hitchhikers?

the danions and raspoboras are egg scatterers if i remember right, so those are out.
Corys leave 1 big egg in groups that stick so thats not it either

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You mentioned magnification, just how magnified are the images?

Nerites can still lay eggs in Freshwater, but they won't hatch (or survive) without being in Brackish water.
Look here at these magnified images of Olive Nerite eggs
Applesnail.net ? View topic - Olive nerite breeding/veliger pics in freshwater
They sort of look similar, but the shape of the egg capsules are a bit different, your pics look more rice-grain shaped. Still possible though.

Pond/bladder snail gelatin egg sacs look quite a bit different.

Fish eggs are 1 fish per egg (so not multiple eggs/babies within one sac) as far as I know.

Again I don't know just how magnified the images are, but look at "Nematode eggs" or "Parasite eggs". They can look very similar to your images, but those are quite magnified. If parasite eggs are what you have, I would look at getting Anthelmintic (antiparasitic) meds, such as Levamisole or Fenbendazole. Praziquantel or Metronidazole might not be effective depending on the parasite.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just to clarify, nerites also lay egg sacks, not eggs. They look like a large egg because they aren't that transparent and the larva (veligers) on the inside are much much smaller than other more common snail egg sacks (pond, bladder, ramshorn, etc). If you get a really good magnifying glass you can see that there are 50 to 100 or more little "veligers" in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.