The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help figuring out what to do with a super aggressive female.She is extremely aggressive to males.I know the females are the dominant of the pair but this lady is rediculous!Her sister is the opposite.She flirts back with the males,and she is a great mother.The aggressive one will attack the male shortly after spawning,and I have no clue what to do with her.

Maybe my males are just too docile for her and she needs a male who is high strung like her.She is also very large.She is the biggest female I have.I would say she measures about three and a half inches long while they top out about just over three and a quarter.

Any clue what I can do,or will she be doomed to stay alone for her entire life?

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Majerah,

My last female was exactly the same way. She was so aggressive that she actually kept attacking the male well after spawning. This triggered the male to swallow all his eggs. He later fought back and beat her up badly. Unfortunately this happened while I was away at work and didn't find the female until she was beat up badly. She never recovered from that fight and she just passed away 2 weeks ago. Bummer cause she was my only mature female.

Have you had any success with other spawns? I remember you had issues with the male holding to term.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one has held to term yet.They are still pretty young fish,the female and her brother and sister well over a year old,but the other males and female are about maybe eight months old.One female and one male are still too small to spawn,and the other mature female is easily spawned and gentle with both males.

I wish he would beat her up,lol.Just enough to show she needs to settle down.They are taking punches back and forth,she has ripped his anal and part of his caudal.She seems unscathed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol,The breedings not the hard part,its the holding,haha!

So you dont have a female?How big is your male?Do you plan on getting another?

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Ya, I meant to say holding :p

I have 2 younger females that I got from Synirr. One should be ready in a few weeks. The other is not the dominant one so she hides a lot and needs to be spot fed otherwise she won't eat much.

My old boy is probably 2 years old now. He's about 3.5" long. Here he is about 3-4 months ago:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is gorgeous!I think I have his brothers and a sister.(the young and immature ones I spoke of)

LOL wanna trade females?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly I dont know who the person is that I got my first trio from.He goes by the username this1fish on bettabreeders.Very beautiful fish,more of a dark blacker orange(the male in my avatar is from him.)

Synirr is who I got the others from.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was a series of pics I took a few weeks ago,when I decided to pull her the first time.This is my male from Synirr.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Honestly, I don't think there's any other person here keeping Macs other than you, myself, and Tom Barr.

Wish we could get more folks into this beautiful fish. There's just not a lot of info out there on this fish. Have you thought about using egg tumblers to artificially hatch the eggs?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have,but I am scared to strip the male.Also,how would you go about making a tumbler?

I wish more people were into them too,they really are a gem in the tank.Very personable!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Laura Lee,You know ya wanna.....

No really you should they are wonderful!Very fun fishes!

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I have a pair for sale locally.

they are noted to jumpers and I do not want fish chips or a net over the tank in question.

Really nice fish though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would get them,but dont have the cash.And I dont think i am local,lol.

Bettamaniac,the albis are one of my favs!Good luck,hope they hold for you.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Ya'll are so tempting me to set up my 25gal and go hit up Sam for some Macs...
Sam's bettas are beautiful as you can see from majerah's pics. Set it up!! We need Mac breeding partners! :help:

I'm still working on getting my albis to hold, LOL! If that ever happens, maybe I'll be inspired to move up to macs. I really love the wild bettas and think as my tanks and skills progress, that they're what I'm most interested in keeping.
Ditch the Albis. Get right into the dirty Mac business and buy Tom's pair!! :hihi:

I have a pair for sale locally.

they are noted to jumpers and I do not want fish chips or a net over the tank in question.

Really nice fish though.
Yup they're jumpers alright, that's why I have the sexy mesh over my tank :icon_cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts