The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im trying to decide which new shrimp typ I want to keep with my new chocolates I got. I really want to become a part of the CRS scene but im thinking that goldens would look better with chocolate than crystals would. Anyone keeping just goldens with chocolates?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
they are to diff kinds of shrimp that need diff parameters so not sure it would work well. one type would be happy and breeding and the other would just be living and probably not breed

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I didnt even think about the two different water parameters. I was actually just thinking oebt might be better. I would love some black tigers from Alpha Pro. But are higher grade tigers just as sensitve as crs?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
yes i think black tigers might be fragile as higher grade CRS.
I don't keep goldens, but i am trying to keep CRS with my chocolates. too early to tell but i think it might work out. the CRS have not bred yet, but the chocos just started. I am trying to keep them at CRS parameters with aquasoil.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
also black with chocolates arent as contrasting as your original idea.

You could probably use something that doesnt buffer too low like FSS, and keep both chocos and goldens happy. just a guess.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
When you say "goldens" are you talking about a different variety of Crystal shrimp? If so, they should do fine with Chocolates.

I have a mixture of just about all types of dwarf freshwater shrimp in my Fluval Ebi. And yes, they are all thriving AND reproducing.

Attached is a photo of sampling of the population in this tank. Notice the berried RCS in the foreground and the berried black Chocolate in the center:

(Few shrimp are more beautiful than a black Chocolate!)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also black with chocolates arent as contrasting as your original idea.

You could probably use something that doesnt buffer too low like FSS, and keep both chocos and goldens happy. just a guess.
You're right. That was my plan to have a 2 different single color tone look. I was thinking goldens because I read they arr a little bit easier to care for than crystals.
But I'm in no rush. I just put 18 baby chocos in my tank so maybe ill hold off until I know the chocos are good and breeding

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say "goldens" are you talking about a different variety of Crystal shrimp? If so, they should do fine with Chocolates.

I have a mixture of just about all types of dwarf freshwater shrimp in my Fluval Ebi. And yes, they are all thriving AND reproducing.

Attached is a photo of sampling of the population in this tank. Notice the berried RCS in the foreground and the berried black Chocolate in the center:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/ne6u

Yes I meant the crystal goldens. And props to you for havin such a little shrimp farm goin on. That chocolate is beautiful. The more pics I see of them the more I fall in love with them

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
the only prob with mixing shrimp like that is they will cross breed and most of the time you will get ugly mutt shrimp and nothing to do with them cause most people wont buy them. they tiger and crs will cross and so will cherry and chocolate

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ph 6.9, gh 6-7, kh 2-3, tds 400!!! I cant get my tds down below 350.
My tap is ph 7-7.5, gh 4, kh 0-1 and tds is around 200.
I dont add anything but some borneo wild stuff and some ph down like every other week if that.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I have to resort to RO or distilled water. My tap is crap. Of course RO and distilled are all "zeros" and basically unbuffered 7.0 pH (there about). The substrate in the tanks adjust the pH. In the Fluval Ebi with the strange shrimp mix I have Fluval Shrimp substrate which keeps the pH down around 6.0.

You may wanna switch over to RO or distilled, and to drop the TDS you might wanna do some partial water changes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts