The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 30" high tank and 35" high stand, does anyone have something this high? Is it going to be a nightmare to work on? I am thinking yes?

The problem is I really want a 7 foot tank, but the only 7 foot tank I can find without going custom is 30" high. My only other option is to go with a 6 foot tank, a lot smaller than I want, but might be my only option to go with a 180 (72x24x24).

The custom tank dealer around here, we only have one, won't get back to me, so I am having to move on to ther options, don't want to order and have it shipped as that will cost to much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unless you have a >30" reach, it probably will.

If your heart is set on the tank, this might help a bit:
1. A step stool to stand on and using gravel to make a hill might help.
2. Long tweezers and scissors could help with planting/trimming.
3. If you use a python during water changes, you can buy a plain siphon with a long tube and switch it with the short one that comes with the python.
4. Buy a sponge with magnets attached so you can move it from outside the tank to clean algae on the front.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you have a >30" reach, it probably will.

If your heart is set on the tank, this might help a bit:
1. A step stool to stand on and using gravel to make a hill might help.
2. Long tweezers and scissors could help with planting/trimming.
3. If you use a python during water changes, you can buy a plain siphon with a long tube and switch it with the short one that comes with the python.
4. Buy a sponge with magnets attached so you can move it from outside the tank to clean algae on the front.
The tank I really wanted was 84x24x24, but that custom build and guy won't get back to me. So the next thing I was able to find, not custom, was 84x24x30. I agree it going to be a nightmare to work on 30 inch tank and 35 inch stand. That what I was thinking, but wanted to get someone else 2 cents :icon_roll

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 150g (48"x24x30) on a 36" high stand. It's been setup now for a couple months. The short answer is yes, it's a PITA to work on. But it's worth it in my opinion to have such a dramatically huge tank. I almost went with a 30" stand to help lower it some, but I really wanted the tank top to be right at my eye level, and I'm 6'1 so that meant having the taller stand. A tall step stool is a must have (Cosco makes a really nice & light aluminum one), I also have a shorter step stool to set my bucket on while I'm working to keep everything within reach, along with one of those grabber arms, and some good planting tools. The best advice I can give from my experience, is to lower the water level when working on the lower plants. I say go for it! The extra tall tank really makes it look massive compared to a shorter one.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 150g (48"x24x30) on a 36" high stand. It's been setup now for a couple months. The short answer is yes, it's a PITA to work on. But it's worth it in my opinion to have such a dramatically huge tank. I almost went with a 30" stand to help lower it some, but I really wanted the tank top to be right at my eye level, and I'm 6'1 so that meant having the taller stand. A tall step stool is a must have (Cosco makes a really nice & light aluminum one), I also have a shorter step stool to set my bucket on while I'm working to keep everything within reach, along with one of those grabber arms, and some good planting tools. The best advice I can give from my experience, is to lower the water level when working on the lower plants. I say go for it! The extra tall tank really makes it look massive compared to a shorter one.
Thanks so much for the info. I am thinking it will look massive as well. This is the size tank, but won't be same stand as I will have that custom built. Yeah the height scares me a bit. ha, but the things I will be able to do with this tank I think would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
It is the 36" high stand that really makes this one tough. My 30" tall tank is on a ~29" stand and I use a step stool to reach any part of the tank (although the center back bottom is a real stretch). I have no regrets about this combination because yes, a tall tank is awesome. Lots of plants really look great with the extra height. Long tools help.

I would not say no to the tank in your situation, but think about the stand. A taller stool is always a little less stable, and I have had some near misses with my two step. Also, a closed top like you show will make any part of the back harder to reach. I can slide my lights around and remove the glass; this makes the back at the sides an easy reach. I am 5'10" tall.

·
Registered
277 Posts
all excellent points.

i would add, i keep a 5-6 step ladder handy. no instability issues.
-bought the 24"-ish tongs and snips(and you'll still get most of your arm wet)
-my plantings are anubias, crypts, crinums and swords, which,to my eye, look great and w/ minimal maintenance.
-i knew i wanted angels, which look better w/ vertical spacing
-my tanks is 36" hi, stand is 36" hi as well (wanted plenty of space above sump)

yeah, it's more work but well worth it imo.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It is the 36" high stand that really makes this one tough. My 30" tall tank is on a ~29" stand and I use a step stool to reach any part of the tank (although the center back bottom is a real stretch). I have no regrets about this combination because yes, a tall tank is awesome. Lots of plants really look great with the extra height. Long tools help.

I would not say no to the tank in your situation, but think about the stand. A taller stool is always a little less stable, and I have had some near misses with my two step. Also, a closed top like you show will make any part of the back harder to reach. I can slide my lights around and remove the glass; this makes the back at the sides an easy reach. I am 5'10" tall.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have been planning to get large tank now for almost 2 years, and almost time. Within the next month. I plan to start a journal at that time as well.

I am about same height as you, the tank/stand in the picture are not the one I am getting, but size tank is, just using it for example. The person I was going to build the stand suggested 36", but he also major into salt, I don't ever plan to go that route.

I will be using a sump for this system, so maybe I could get away with 30" stand rather than the 36" I think that would help a great deal.

Do you guys think 30" would be too low with sump? I was thinking 70 gallon sump so around 18 high, but that going to be custom built so I can make it less if needed.

Oh don't I wish I had your problems :)
ha, been saving for this for a long time. Need to get it soon before wife changes her mind and says NO. :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts