The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the process of setting up a new tank. Since I am in bay-area, the water here is super soft, and no need to reduce the hardness. I usually use seachem Discus Buffer and Neutral Regulator to remove chlorine and adjust PH to 6.8 to 7.0. So couple days ago, the new tank finally cycled with only nitrates tested out. I added more new water to make up the evaporation lost, added one snail and new plants. That time, I tried the API Stress Coat instead of regular . The next day, all the nitrates are gone!! cannot test any out, very effective. However, this is not I am looking for. I was worried, so I added very small mounts of sugar, hope to see some increase on ammonia or nitrites/nitrates. After a day, still no ammonia, no nitrates.

I did a small experiment on the API Stress Coat just to confirm it reacted with nitrates.

From left to right,
1.Tap water
2.Tap water with nitrates and added one drop API PH Up
3.Tap water with nitrates and added one drop API Stress Coat. Found more white/light yellow sediment at bottom of the cup.
4.Tap water with nitrates

The test strips is SJ Wave 6 in 1 Aquarium Test Strip. The second spot in pink means here are nitrates in water.
The nitrates I used here is from my potted plants' fertilizer.

So, I guess be careful if using fertilizer with API stress coat.
My question is how to restart the cycle, so the new added plants can have nitrates. And, anyone have any suggestions know how long does stress coat last? should I do water change?

Adding:
Here is the sediment, the yellowish thing at bottom. When I touch it, it feels sort like soft gel, not solid sand like thing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You don't need to restart the cycle, the bacteria are still there. Just do a water change if you're worried.

I don't think Stress Coat actually removes the nitrates though; I'm pretty sure it just temporarily binds them up in a way that prevents toxicity to fish. I've used it in planted tanks before with no ill effects, though I switched to Prime because it's considerably more cost effective when you have several large tanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't need to restart the cycle, the bacteria are still there. Just do a water change if you're worried.

I don't think Stress Coat actually removes the nitrates though; I'm pretty sure it just temporarily binds them up in a way that prevents toxicity to fish. I've used it in planted tanks before with no ill effects, though I switched to Prime because it's considerably more cost effective when you have several large tanks.
Thank you for the reply! I will wait couple more days

·
Registered
13,147 Posts

API Stress Coat interfering with API nitrate test

"I have just confirmed that API's Stress Coat interferes with API's nitrate test, causing a low or false negative reading in the test"

Reactions: Muchan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

API Stress Coat interfering with API nitrate test

"I have just confirmed that API's Stress Coat interferes with API's nitrate test, causing a low or false negative reading in the test"
Awesome, thank you for confirming this. I believe the API's nitrate test is same method with what I used. Thanks again. It makes sense now. It was so weird the nitrates tested zero and the nerite snail in the tank has been pooping crazily.

Do you know how the API's stress coat may last?

·
Registered
13,147 Posts
Awesome, thank you for confirming this. I believe the API's nitrate test is same method with what I used. Thanks again. It makes sense now. It was so weird the nitrates tested zero and the nerite snail in the tank has been pooping crazily.

Do you know how the API's stress coat may last?
No, not sure wgat part interferes either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.