The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to rule out some possibilities for a few fry I accidentally got from a lake.
I don't think they're from a game fish, they're just so tiny. I was thinking minnow, then I remembered that most "minnows" are mosquitofish. Don't skeeterfish usually have relatively larger fry, being livebearers? I'm just wondering if anyone happens to have a good comparison picture.
Do baby skeeterfish have golden eyes?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Don't tell me you can see the eyes on those dots in that spoon...LOL...
I have Least Killi fish(also live bearers) and their fry are like 1/4" long.
Those can only be from eggs at that size and actually the only fish I might guess could have babies that small are the Banded Pigmy sunfish/same fish in two other sub-speceis from Everglades and Georgia.
From a lake could also be Madtom babies.
Check the Fish section and look at all threads with Elastoma in the names or Pigmy sunfish as someone had a picture of babies in one last week.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why don't you take a look at your state's list of native and invasive fish and start googling fry pictures for anything that could possibly be found in your area? It'd be incredibly difficult to get an ID on them this young, but I think you'd have a better shot of it going that route instead of comparing them to tropical fish fry.
And just because the babies are small doesn't mean they'll stay that way - most any saltwater fish will go through a planktonic stage and be just as tiny or smaller, and there are tons of huge saltwater fish. For example, I know for sure that Red Drum start that small, but as adults they can get up to five feet.
So I wouldn't rule out the bigger fish, even if you're hoping for something small. And don't forget to check the nonnative species lists when you look for what's found near you, I know that where I live some of the invasive species have taken over and gotten so plentiful that a lot of people don't realize they're invasive.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm trying to rule out some possibilities for a few fry I accidentally got from a lake.
I don't think they're from a game fish, they're just so tiny. I was thinking minnow, then I remembered that most "minnows" are mosquitofish. Don't skeeterfish usually have relatively larger fry, being livebearers? I'm just wondering if anyone happens to have a good comparison picture.
Do baby skeeterfish have golden eyes?
When you say killie fish do you mean killie fish or least killies? Killie fish lay eggs, least killies are live bearers.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What is this, a fry for ants?!?!? Anyways, that looks tinier than any of the fry I've ever seen; you should definitely wait a while and let them grow :p

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skeeterfish, not killifish. Skeeterfish are mosquitofish... People call mosquitos skeeters sometimes .Sorry, I forgot that 'skeeter' isn't a commonly used word... That's what I call them, skeeterfish.
It's about the size of an ant!
Unfortunately, I don't know if they'll make it... I found a dead one. They were being shaken around in a bag with a tiny bit of water, so I can't say I'm surprised. I expected the plants to have a few snails and maybe a scud or two, not fish, otherwise I would have been way more careful with them. For one thing, I would have rinsed them really well to get the babies out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts