The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey everyone,
Wanted to see if anyone has tried this substrate before and had luck growing plants with it. I want to do a planted tank/ shrimp tank. Thanks!
Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum - 4.4 lb
There are a lot of people talking about this historically, here. I've never used it but I am setting up a new tank and did a lot of research on this siter and others, so this is my summary from the research.

The general opinion seems to be that it turns to mush eventually, the time it takes may be determined by your water quality, I've seen anything between six months to a year. Some people like it, others don't. My general sense is that more people dislike it than like it. One person said something along the lines of "it's cheap and you get what you pay for".

I chose not to use it based on my research, but maybe you could say why it appeals to you and so we can provide more feedback to meet your needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
this is stuff I tried with I first started. It's really cloudy with any sort of movement so the first week of it made for an extremely cloudy tank. It does clear up fine, but just don't mess around with the plants too much.

As for growing, I eventually switched to Eco Complete and had a much easier time with my plants' growth. I haven't done much in terms of carpeting plants when I tried either of these though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.