The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get the prongs to slide into my T5 Tek Light.. anyone ever have this problem? They look like they should fit but I don't want to force them in...

any tips?

·
Registered
588 Posts
It happens, especially with plastic in the fixture instead of aluminum. Heat causes slight warping. I usually try to gently move any pieces back in to shape by hand. Granted there's no guarantee against cracking or breaking. Only sure fire way to prevent that is to buy new parts or a new fixture.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im so paranoid I'll bust the bulb forcing it in.. one end slides in as you would imagine..but the other end you have to slide the prongs through the top of the opening.. and that is where it gets stuck..

This model is discontinued.. so I don't think I can get a new one..

·
Registered
588 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, I cringe changing out mine sometmes. Lol
May just be time for an upgrade.
Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Panther.. this is a BRAND NEW set up.. I just bought the light..
you see my dilemma ?

I suppose I may have to just return the damn thing..

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I had exactly the same experience when I first got my Tek light, I even called the manufacturer, feeling like an idiot. They sort of laugh at me.

In short, you have to press a bit harder. I believe the sockets are spring loaded and take a bit more force then any other t5 fixture I have ever used.

The good news, I have not broken a single bulb, even with my 2 left hands :).

Push in and turn.

v3

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OVT.. thanks for the reassurance..

Here is what I ended up doing.. I took a pocket knife and gently shaved a little of the plastic to make the slots just a tiny bit bigger.. then I grabbed my set of precision screw drivers.. you know the tiny ones that come in the plastic case?

Lol anyway.. a little dab of silicone grease and pushing down the prongs with the screw driver get them in..

Now.. the next problem I have is my tank is just a tad too long to set the light fixture on top.. I had to order a set of tank brackets online.. I PRAY that they will work when they get here because hanging the light from the ceiling is not an option..

This entire tank set up has been a frigging McGyver episode from the filter to the lights.. my next adventure will be the C02 no doubt as I have never done that before either.. lol

·
Registered
902 Posts
At least when u get to c02 you'll be in a happier state.... Haha it's a confusing mess but as long as ur tank don't explode ur ok!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife said last night.. "yeah but you're having fun right"...

I said .. uh NO.. I won't have fun until I know all the mechanical crap is working and I can start putting fish and plants in.. that's the fun part..

I like your standards Charr though.. as long as it doesn't explode.. lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ive had the same problem. It is very frustrating make sure to align the inner ring perfectly with the outer as you slip the prongs in.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It's even worse when you have the 48" fixtures with the t5 bulbs. You can only screw or pop in one side at a time. On loooong skinny little bulb. Lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's even worse when you have the 48" fixtures with the t5 bulbs. You can only screw or pop in one side at a time. On loooong skinny little bulb. Lol
This was exactly my problem!!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Haha I have to replace a bulb today as well. Granted its just the aqueon fixture. Its still not fun

1 - 14 of 14 Posts