The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking up more Aquasafe from Meijer's today and noticed they had hydrocotyle tripartita (sp. Japan) for 6 bucks, a whole pot, healthy as can be. I won't buy their fish as most of the time they aren't in the best shape, but would it do any harm to buy their plants? I've tried VI Pets and Blue Fish Aquarium in Grandville, with no luck trying to find hydrocotyle tripartita. Blue fish had it, but it was 5 dollars for a tiny little strand. I would've course be dipping them in a salt dip and making sure they are disease free, though this one was in their string of healthy tanks. (The one by us has 3 tanks per filter system). And to be honest their HC is pretty healthy too. Probably from all the nitrates and CO2 from them overstocking the tanks lol.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Yeah Meijers always has a great selection of plants. They have a better selection than the LFS does!! They always seem to have Crypts, Swords, Rotala, Ludwigia, Wistera, Java ferns, etc. I even found Dwarf Sag there one time. but haven't seen it since.

Only downside is they're tanks are always LOADED with snails, so you gotta be careful, that is, if you don't want snails.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Meijers always has a great selection of plants. They have a better selection than the LFS does!! They always seem to have Crypts, Swords, Rotala, Ludwigia, Wistera, Java ferns, etc. I even found Dwarf Sag there one time. but haven't seen it since.

Only downside is they're tanks are always LOADED with snails, so you gotta be careful, that is, if you don't want snails.
Lol well I killed all my hitchhikers, so hopefully I don't get any snails. I want to get Nerites, but only Nerites, though that will probably not be possible LOL. VI Pets normally has snails too, but the guy will give you about 2 pounds of Willow Moss for 5 dollars.... Totally worth the snails, and the Anubias Nana Petites they get in on occasion are beautiful plants.

You think a bleach dip could kill the snails? That's what I was planning on doing.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm up in the Muskegon area (Hello Little Soprano!). Same here, the Meijer stores around here always have tons of plants, I was amazed when I randomly decided to start looking at the fish tanks whenever grocery shopping. I picked up a few pots of Crypt Parva a while back that is doing good in a nano. I've never seen Hydrocotyle sp Japan that is a cool find, I've seen the larger varieties. Definitely do a soak of the plants, I soaked mine in a higher solution of metricide and still ended up with copepods (no big deal) as well as planaria (which are gone now I think after dosing and adding fish).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm up in the Muskegon area (Hello Little Soprano!). Same here, the Meijer stores around here always have tons of plants, I was amazed when I randomly decided to start looking at the fish tanks whenever grocery shopping. I picked up a few pots of Crypt Parva a while back that is doing good in a nano. I've never seen Hydrocotyle sp Japan that is a cool find, I've seen the larger varieties. Definitely do a soak of the plants, I soaked mine in a higher solution of metricide and still ended up with copepods (no big deal) as well as planaria (which are gone now I think after dosing and adding fish).
Hello:)
I don't mind copepods as much as I do Planaria. My planaria killing koi just went out into the Koi pond today, so hopefully I don't get them again. Will definitely soak them pretty good!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Planaria are more like worms with triangle shaped head.

LS: Cool you have a pond as well! I just turned the main pump on my outdoor pond last weekend after doing a big water change the week before. My pond is around 2500g according to the previous owner...I've never made a real attempt to get an accurate measurement. I have just a couple koi, slowling adding new Shubunkin, and some old large Comets the previous owner had stocked.

Ok sorry for going off topic... :p

·
Registered
789 Posts
Could be copepods? I had them in my nano tank here at work for a little while. They sort of appeared to crawl around and at times almost "jump" to other spots. I had treated that tank with fenbendozole (dog dewormer) to get rid of the planaria so I'm not sure if that killed them or if the fish that I added a few weeks later ate them. If it is copepods they are considered harmless and will feed on any excess food.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.