The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people are like me and put trumpet snails in their tanks for the substrate benefits, only to wish months later that they had never heard about the stupid things?

I have turface for my substrate, which is light so it is difficult enough to plant in to begin with. Then on top of that, every time I try to plant something, HC or even downoi plants of that size, the MTS are playing around under it and the next morning the plants are bobbing around on the surface.

But in a 125 gal heavy planted tank, I have no hope of ever getting rid of the buggers.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
What I hate is that the MTS babies skim the surface so anytime I dip my arm in the tank to remove a plant or trim or during water changes, I have to pick off each baby from my arm and/or equipment.

I have also noticed what you speak off.

They also do very well at ambushing my RCS's and cories' food wafers.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Chain Loaches. Lots of them. 5 of them Eliminated the snail problem in my 85g within one week. Haven't seen a snail on the glass since day 2.

AB

·
Registered
115 Posts
Finally I figured out who's responsible for uprooting my hornwort. But I guess I'll just keep them there. It's just a betta tank. I'll relocate the hornwort into the shrimp tank.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nothing better than assassin snails. They will never out grow your tank!

I had to import some MTS to feed them. I have a colony in a bucket just to provide enough food for them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I havent had any explosion of MTS. I like em cause they keep the BGA on the my substrate down. Keep mixing it so the algae eventually dies underneath.

I see more MTS death than birth though =( And my pond snail population is now extinct.

... My tank is weird

·
Registered
334 Posts
i left a few MTS in my girlfriend's frontosa's tank and now its everywhere. I leave more than 20-30 in my 10 gallon shrimp tank and i dont see a single one. my pond snails are going nuts but MTS are missing...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had to take one 10g tank apart and let it dry for a week after manually sifting through the gravel to get the big ones out. I also wait until sundown then they crawl on the glass and I pick them out manually.

My clown loach seems to eat a few MTS but not many.

·
Registered
169 Posts
lol uh oh I just dropped a couple of MTSs into my 10 gallon tank for the substrate...I hope I don't regret this in the near future :icon_lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
what are your secrets! i want MTS to finish uneaten food...instead of drying out your tank, you should've gotten assassin snails.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I agree about the babies and water surface.. feels like anytime I dip my arm in the tank, it comes out covered with them. Similarly, they clog up one of my power filters that has a surface skimmer attached and often causes it to rattle or stop.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Just anchor a leaf of iceberg lettuce on the substrate at lights out, then come back the next morning and dispose of it. You won't even be able to see any of the lettuce through all of the snails.

Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought the MTS were good for the substrate, and eating algae, etc, i was thinking about getting some today actually but my LPS was out so i have to wait until next week. should i rethink putting them in my tank? is it not a good idea? its 55gal thanks..

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Personally, I highly recommend them. And I've never had a population of them that couldn't be managed. Too many of them? I must be overfeeding, so I'll cut back. Still too many of them? No problem, I have some iceberg lettuce in the fridge I can lure them out with.

I think they are very beneficial.

I can also, though, understand getting sick of them. It just hasn't personally happened to me. YMMV.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I thought the MTS were good for the substrate, and eating algae, etc, i was thinking about getting some today actually but my LPS was out so i have to wait until next week. should i rethink putting them in my tank? is it not a good idea? its 55gal thanks..
I don't know how you can easily avoid adding them. As far as eating algae, I don't know about that. They may eat algae, but you could in no way think of them as any sort of cleanup crew.

·
Registered
32 Posts
it was more for the substrate for me, than the algae, i was just listing some good things that i knew, they provided, i know they are way to small to be a "cleanup crew"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts