The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filling up the 125 for the first time right now. This tank is way larger than anything I've ever owned. In all my research on reefing forums (how to plumb a sump) I saw some horror stories about tanks exploding. Been on my mind ever since. I called my insurance company before I even started to see if I was covered. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
yep. I feel like I am constantly checking to make sure it is level as well.....

Even though my tank is on a load-bearing wall.....it is always something I get nervous about

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to know I'm not the only one. It's placed in an addition that was built on an on-grade concrete slab, we have had some foundation problems in the past though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm always worried first time. I've just completed construction of a 175 gallon plywood and epoxy tank (60 in x 28 in x 24 in) and the first test fill-up was at the big door of the garage with the viewing window facing out to the lane. Fortunately the only leak was at a bulkhead where I could fix the discontinuity under the gasket fairly easily.

If you're tank was built with RTV sealer you're likely in very good shape.

You can always fill in stages, with hours or a day between, to see how it goes--makes for smaller hits of adrenalin....

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I was really nervous when i was getting into larger tanks. From what I've gathered though, generally a 125 gallon tank is safe for most houses on the first floor. I didnt really worry about the tank bursting, i was worried about the floor collapsing from all the weight and all the expensive damages that would happen.

For a good two months or so i was paranoid about any creaking sound I may have heard or thought i'd hear. I would keep checking the wall mouldings to see there were any gap increases indicating the floor was sagging from the weight. Anytime I would spill/flood water, i would be even more paranoid if the water was weakening the floors further.

For my own piece of mind, i probably wouldnt go more than 150 gallon, not even a wider footprint 180 without reinforcing my floors. If the floor ever did collapse, the house damage along with the broken tank and dead fish/plants, I surely would instantly be out of the hobby (my choice or not :))

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
I built the stand for my 120G. No 2x4's, all dimensional lumber. I knew based on the engineering it would be fine.......but I gotta admit, filling up the tank on that stand the first time was pretty darn nerve-wracking.

After awhile, you'll forget all about the nerves you had and just get around to the enjoying the tank. I know I did.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm more nervous about the idiot (me) who filled his tank, started a temporary circulation pump for his plants and cycle, woke up, looked at it, decided everything was good with hoses just hanging in and out of the tank, went to work, and came home to 50 gallons or so of water on his floor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I built the stand for my 120G. No 2x4's, all dimensional lumber. I knew based on the engineering it would be fine.......but I gotta admit, filling up the tank on that stand the first time was pretty darn nerve-wracking.

After awhile, you'll forget all about the nerves you had and just get around to the enjoying the tank. I know I did.

Same here! 3/4 plywood cabinet with pine trim that's it and a few bottles of type 3 wood glue. The stands at petco are made from far less.

[QUOTE

You can always fill in stages, with hours or a day between, to see how it goes--makes for smaller hits of adrenalin....[/QUOTE]

That's what I did. Checking for level every so often. The stand is lag bolted to the wall after it was leveled on the floor, kept imaging the whole wall comimg down. Irrational I know but it felt like a real possibility at the time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
When I filled my 125 up, the stand popped as it settled and I freaked out. My wife was calm. Every time I heard anything I was just expecting it to burst. Now it's like my 20 or 55s. No worries!

My tank is on a linoleum over concrete floor in our utility room (not really utility) that's about an inch unlevel on one side. I worried at first but it doesn't bother me anymore

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
My 55g tetra tank popped a silicone seal on the bottom pane of glass last year. I almost wasn't going to be home that weekend, parents were harassing me to visit them, glad I didn't! Would have come back to a ruined (finished) basement, fried pump and probably exploded tank with the possibility of a fire from the heater... not to mention rotting fish corpses and dead/dying plants. I had to move plants and fish to a 40g breeder and try to get as much of the tank water cough in a bucket and not end up on the floor.. was a mess but managed to recover and reseal the tank (after scraping all the silicone out).
I'd love to get my hands on a 125g (if only they didn't cost $1k+ around here! >.<) but the thought of that springing a leak ... ugh x.x I'd probably ask my husband to make extra bracing for it just to make sure it couldn't come loose.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Oh geeze. Silicone seals. Now I'm worrying again lol.

I got the Petsmart 125 and stand combo last year on black Friday for $300. I checked it over to make sure everything was good before taking it home. I always worry about the stand that came with it but it looks solid and is holding up good.

My petsmart has a 150g right now with a small scratch on the stand for $250. SO tempting but the wife said no. Plus we don't have room for it :(

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You just need to silicone an inch wide glass strip, from bottom to top on the outside of weak corner, this glues the cut edge of the long side to the outside of the side glass, forming a second seal. The floor will fall out before that corner weakens again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.