The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else around here has had trouble with the post office lately? I mailed out a priority package of plants a few weeks ago, it got to its destination fine. I had a package coming to me from the same destination as mine went to, and after nearly three weeks there is no sign of it, and the post office people tell me they can't do anything about it unless I have a tracking number, which I don't. The sender is going to get me a new package in the mail, but I am nervous now about sending anything live or valuable!

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
A lot of people that i've bought plants/fish from said they've had problems in the past getting packages to their final destination in Arizona. Must be an AZ thing. :hihi:

I've never had an issue with receiving or sending packages, but thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha yeah I have noticed that both in Arizona and Colorado, my outgoing mail gets where it is going a lot faster than mail coming in to me! I guess the postal system just isn't quite what it should be in those states. I've never had issues with priority packages getting lost before, so I've never gotten a tracking number for them. This one was coming as a plant trade; I mailed some plants to them and they are sending me some, so they paid the shipping on the box. I hope the sender can get a refund on the shipping from the post office, I'd sure be mad if they lost a package I had paid to mail! It's been three weeks now and the thing still has not shown up! Unfortunately a tracking number costs extra, but it will be a consideration in the future.

It's making me nervous about ordering my baby chickens this spring...I have to mail order them because no one here has what I want. I hope I don't end up with a box a month late full of rotten dead birds!

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
It seems to be a random occurrence for me. Once in a blue moon I have a package that takes forever to get to its destination. One package from FL to TX took three weeks and all the plants were mush. I had another package that I mailed to NY end up in PR for a few days before finally getting to NY. Luckily it was just a diffuser and not live plants.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I still think it's an Arizona thing...

I've done several plant trades with people, and most of the traders don't receive the package that i sent them, but i receive theirs.

You *should* pay the extra buck for delivery confirmation. I've had a few situations where the buyer claims they didn't receive the large plant package that i sent them, so i either have to send them a new package or refund them. It would be very easy for someone to say that they never received the package when they actually did. I've been very skeptical at times because it usually happens with members who have 5 posts and 0/0 PTrader feedback (not saying that all newbies do that, but that's generally who it happens with IME).

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Delivery confirmation just lets you know if the package was delivered to it's final destination. They put a yellow sticker with a barcode on it, and i guess the delivery guy scans it once he's at the place of delivery.

So, if someone says "it was lost in the mail" or "i never received the package", you will know whether it was actually delivered or not.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
If you take the Delivery Conf # to the PO, they can track it and tell you where it was last scanned. This information is not available to the general public through the USPS website.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the sender is putting a new package in the mail to me. Hopefully this one makes it! I don't think mine had anything to do with the holidays; it was put in the mail three weeks before Thanksgiving. Unless people are sending their gifts that early...? I don't know when that rush starts, not being a Christmas celebrator myself.

When I send things of significant value, I do use a tracking number/delivery confirmation to prevent them from saying 'Oh, I never got it, I want my money back', when they did get it. Since I am not paying for this package at all, I let the sender decide what to do for shipping, because it is at their expense. I hope the sender can at least get a refund on the shipping for the package that never made it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Argh...went to the post office today. They had my plants. Apparently the new mail carrier neglected to put a notice in the mailbox saying to come pick them up, and then said they did leave a notice. The normal mail carrier brings our packages to the door, but this one doesn't.

So, plants have been in a box for about a month. Nasty, stinking mess. Except for some sunset hygro, which still has green stems and what appears to be a bit of new growth. Nothing kills that stuff lol.

The post office worker at the counter told me if I'm expecting a perishable package to call them and leave my phone number and tell them it is coming, so they can let me know when it arrives. I'm going to start doing that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.