The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are my ammonia levels too high if my ottos have recently developed some red gills and part of its underbelly? I recently introduced one into my tank and after a day, this red spot developed. My other ones have it too.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yea, 1 or 2 otos i bought from a LFS had red underbelly. I don't notice anything different from them though, and they seem to be eating and playing like normal for 1+ month I've had them. I'm not 100% certain but I think the red belly are becoming less noticeable now and the underbelly is becoming white like other otos.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine have pink gills, no pink stomach though. I don't test for ammonia levels, but I'd bet that they are zero. Fish gills are supposed to be red, there purpose after all is to oxygenate the fish's blood, which would result in a red color--so I think it's normal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you using high tech co2? Any other fish with red gills or spending most of their time at the surface? Could need some oxygen near the bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.