The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am always looking for tanks on craigslist, even when I don't want to buy one, just because. I always see posts from people with oscars on 20 gallon tanks that they are trying to sell, but a recent one drove me nuts. The guy is trying to replace his 30g with something bigger, but less than a 75. The kicker is he has 6 piranhas in his 30 gallon that he wants to upgrade. I have kept those fish and a more reasonable number should be 180g and that is a very conservative estimate a 300g is really what they should get.
Anyone else see this crap all the time? Would it be unreasonable for me to email these people to let them know that they are torturing these animals (obviously phrase it more nicely)? I am pretty sure these guys just don't care, they obviously have the internet so they could research how to do it right, and I don't think a random email would make a difference.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I get upset with craigslist for a different reason - the only two people I was ever able to contact had included their phone number in the ad. I've never received a reply to the numerous queries I've sent out on ads - my friend who lives in the same town as me tried to sell one of her cars on cl. She would get people contacting her through craigslist, but she couldn't reply to them. Every time she did it bounced back as non-deliverable. So something's screwy here, or the system is inconsistant, or spam filters block it...

·
Registered
618 Posts
i hate that 99% of the people on there are just dumb and have no clue how to price anything. you want 60$ for a used 10g tank? LOL you want 200$ for a 20g, stand, and incandescent fixture? LOL. i bought this filter for 200$ and it has only been running for 6 months, so i feel 180$ is reasonable. LOL.

can't stand craigslist. c

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
There's a guy w a 200H gl. acrylic, sitting on a c***y looking stand in a
warehouse. His kid or employee is running the ad. I've kept several Acrylic tanks they can be kept scratch free but you have to be a fanatic to do so.

So you go into it think it's got scratches, he's asking $800 and has a pissy note about not offering $200. So I'm guessing it's a business owner jerk that thinks he's selling gold. Also he says you have to take the stand and his cheap lights and cruddy filters??

I have considered going to take a look. But, I couldn't get the thing home in my Scion XB....LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just don't understand how these people are smart enough to post stuff on the internet, but still way too dumb to do any research. A recent favorite of mine here It sounds like they had to have their landlord post it cause they were too dumb, and he just seems frustrated with the whole thing "The current owner is ready to move and has asked me to help post this, so please excuse any delayed responses. They have limited knowledge of what the fish exactly are, but a lot of money was spent on them." In my opinion anyone who is trying to sell their tank with the fish in it should at least know what they are.

·
Registered
529 Posts
LOL... at least that one where the landlord listed it tried as much as possible to describe it in detail. I saw a 125-gallon listed on my local craigs list where they wanted $1200 for it. It was just a regular 125-gallon glass aquarium - used, and I kept looking at that thing trying to find where the diamonds could be hidden. Bizarre at best.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It would be very reasonable of you to educate these short sited people on their errors, however I doubt it will have any impact. There should be a council that lets people do things as far as aquatics go, but then again i guess we would never get to learn new things...lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ok, what I love, is how they *brag* about how much money they "supposedly" paid for it new. Even if they're not lying, which most of them are, no one cares how much you want to claim you paid new, they want a used price on used merchandise. No one wants to pay more than what it could cost new for a dirty tank with neon gravel and a Sponge Bob house.
http://greenville.craigslist.org/for/2617297484.html

this is a 75 gallon tank with black wood stand and emperor 400 filter. it comes with all the accessories you see in the tank and some other items.. it is less than a year old. We have over $1300 invested. selling for $600 obo or will trade for equal value. please call me if intertested at 864-992-5351 or 864-992-0117

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, what I love, is how they *brag* about how much money they "supposedly" paid for it new. Even if they're not lying, which most of them are, no one cares how much you want to claim you paid new, they want a used price on used merchandise. No one wants to pay more than what it could cost new for a dirty tank with neon gravel and a Sponge Bob house.
http://greenville.craigslist.org/for/2617297484.html
That is a great one. really I think this is the best way for us to rag on hideous setups, they all put pictures and say how they dropped 1300 into a massive eyesore.http://madison.craigslist.org/hsh/2523458452.htmlI think this is exactly what we are talking about.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.