The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm laid off from my job for the winter, and funds are tight. I have a 40 breeder that I got at the petco dollar a gallon sale, and I also have a 46 bowfront that I found on the side of the road with the stand in mint condition. I want to dirt and plant the bowfront and replace the 29 gallon in my living room with it, and I want to put some small cichlids in the 40b. I'm watering at the mouth to do all this, but I'm too broke! Anyone else in the same boat as me?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I think the question is more who isn't in that boat

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll tell you what, it's EXTREMELY hard for me to NOT go to the LFS with all my time off. It's like an addiction!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im more along the lines of making sure i don't spend to much within a period of time so the wife don't lose her mind and flip out on me. So its kind of like being broke.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'm not broke, but still hitting severe limits thanks to space and lease constraints. I've got a 125g in storage and am having to pass up on deal after deal for covetted 20L, 40 breeders, custom tanks--all because I have no where to set any of the damned things up.

Catch 22: apartment living has money but no space; house purchase would give me space, but leave me with no money.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I'm not broke, but still hitting severe limits thanks to space and lease constraints. I've got a 125g in storage and am having to pass up on deal after deal for covetted 20L, 40 breeders, custom tanks--all because I have no where to set any of the damned things up.

Catch 22: apartment living has money but no space; house purchase would give me space, but leave me with no money.
Depends on what you're paying for rent. And face it that rent money is down the drain. Paying off someone else's mortgage. My mortgage payment is about what rent would be but I wouldn't have all that I have. And it wouldn't be mine. Someday. Maybe. If I live long enough. Or if I have a job long enough.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah I'm in the broke boat also, trying to slowly acquire things for the 40b. Right now I pay all the bills and then try and see what's left over for the tank... not a whole lot.

May be a blessing though, I don't know if the fiance could handle the tank going up in a day lol

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Ok didn't mean everyone was laid off geez!!!

Meant that i think the majority of us are all facing constraints financially in this hobby...

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm laid off from my job for the winter, and funds are tight. I have a 40 breeder that I got at the petco dollar a gallon sale, and I also have a 46 bowfront that I found on the side of the road with the stand in mint condition. I want to dirt and plant the bowfront and replace the 29 gallon in my living room with it, and I want to put some small cichlids in the 40b. I'm watering at the mouth to do all this, but I'm too broke! Anyone else in the same boat as me?
How about this? I can RAOK you some Labidochromis cearulus (yellow labs)....if you want to put them in your 29 or 46, you could trade me the 40 breeder for a brand new Aquaclear 50(200)...if not you're still wlecome to the yellow labs...Also have a regular pleco and 2 giant danios I can RAOK.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My issue is I have two hobbies that can be very expensive (if I WANT them to be), and my fiancee and I have agreed to budgets. So for example, we each have 75 a month to spend on our hobbies, along with a percentage of overtime/bonus income. So that means I am constantly making decisions like, buy 15 Tetras for my 40B at 3 dollars apiece, OR save that 45 bucks and have enough money saved up in my "hobby account" two months from now to buy that new shotgun I want. It does have the side effect of delayed gratification and a feeling of accomplishment for purchases, a year ago I would just buy whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. To be honest I like this way better, feels much more responsible and rewarding to me. Too bad my darn hobbies are so expensive, and shooting is going way up in cost now with the panic buying going on.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You gotta balance your desires with your life. We all want to have nice things like a new car, or mansion, etc... but realize that unless you have the income, its something you simply cannot afford whenever you want. Be happy with what you have, save for what you want.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am also laid off. I lost my job just before Thanksgiving, but I wasn't happy there so in a way I'm glad I lost it. I get unemployment which lets me pay for my food, heating, electric, gas for my car and other small expenses, and my parents have been helping me pay my rent and student loans. When I was working I could pay everything by myself.

When I get a new job, I would like to save up and get a new apartment that will allow me to get a dog, then get a larger fish tank (and a saltwater tank!).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts