The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be trying out Flourite, I know I'm going to need to rinse it thoroughly, but it is clay based, so technically it shouldn't break down for awhile.

Has anyone capped it? I have the black one because I'm hoping I wouldn't need to cap. I have used EC before, so I'm wondering if this is better even though it is inert like EC.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The only possible way capping it would be beneficial is capping with sand to make it easier the plant into. But if you are going to do that there is no need for the flourite.

I vote no cap ;)

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I dropped into using Flourite as my first sub just because it came with a tank and I have found no reason to change. Used is great as it has all the dust worn out of it. But rinsing will help with that but also be advised that you may never run truly clear water while rinsing as the clay does gradually dissolve. Don't rinse until it is all gone!! But do expect some cloudy water as there will almost always be some level of dust. I have done tanks without rinsing and it does take some time/work to let it clear but rinsing is far better. Once in the tank, I put filters with media like floss or sponge which I can rinse out and let it run it's course until clear. Over time, I have added a variety of things like sand gravel and dirt, so that I now have a full blown "natural" look with the different types being sorted to different spots by current, fish and digging.
I have never capped but I also would not expect it to stay as I have lots of moving and changing in my tanks and the cap would get mixed too much to call it capped. New/old works the same once past the dust as the stuff doesn't wear out, just the clay bits get smaller and smaller.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
There's absolutely no need to cap it and it also won't break down over time, at least not in my experience. btw, i'm in hillsborough NJ
I lost count with how many people are from Hillsborough that are into planted tanks! I have only found two people nearby me, but they're no longer active on here. D:

I dropped into using Flourite as my first sub just because it came with a tank and I have found no reason to change. Used is great as it has all the dust worn out of it. But rinsing will help with that but also be advised that you may never run truly clear water while rinsing as the clay does gradually dissolve. Don't rinse until it is all gone!! But do expect some cloudy water as there will almost always be some level of dust. I have done tanks without rinsing and it does take some time/work to let it clear but rinsing is far better. Once in the tank, I put filters with media like floss or sponge which I can rinse out and let it run it's course until clear. Over time, I have added a variety of things like sand gravel and dirt, so that I now have a full blown "natural" look with the different types being sorted to different spots by current, fish and digging.
I have never capped but I also would not expect it to stay as I have lots of moving and changing in my tanks and the cap would get mixed too much to call it capped. New/old works the same once past the dust as the stuff doesn't wear out, just the clay bits get smaller and smaller.
Interesting note, and thanks for the help guys. I would expect it to have an insane amount of dust, however, I am going to use this in a jarrarium basically. No heater, no filter, just plants, and that's it. I think no capping is fine with what I ultimately want.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There's absolutely no need to cap it and it also won't break down over time, at least not in my experience. btw, i'm in hillsborough NJ
I lost count with how many people are from Hillsborough that are into planted tanks! I have only found two people nearby me, but they're no longer active on here. D:
I’m in East Brunswick. Anyway...I vote for no cap as well. I find fluorite easier to plant in than EC. It’s heavier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I set up a 55 with the Black Flourite, and I capped it with some pool filter sand. I have a lot of Cory Cats & they really like the sand so I decided to put just enough on top to give them some to play in. And so far just a few specs of the Flourite has popped up, and that's just from me planting my plants. I think it makes the sand look better with the few specs of the black Flourite here & there.
And when I first set it up I used a kitchen strainer to clean it, and that worked great. They say the black is not as dirty as the red, but it's still pretty dirty. I think it just comes down as what you like the look of, and what fish you have. And I don't think Cory Cats would have a problem being on straight Flourite, but I like to watch them plow in the sand.

·
Registered
963 Posts
No real reason to cap Flourite and if so, the coarser grain will always finish on the top with time, with time the smaller grain sink and gives way to the coarser one.

Michel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts