The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I want to try breeding these guys in the next few months but need to get everything together first.

Here is my plan:
Setup small bracket water tank, using small sponge filter and calcium enriched substrate. No lighting required. Feed lots and produce driftwood to lay eggs on. Keeping tank at around 79 degrees.

Once I get move them to saltwater tank. After then hatch and developers shells move back to brackish and raise them up till ready for main freshwater tank.

Does this sound right?

I dont know anything about maintaining a fully saltwater tank, maybe someone can help with that part. But I will buy premixed 5 gallon water for that tank. I am thinking of using 1g tanks for this project.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was planning on breeding some wild caught olive nerite morphs I found, and from the info I learned from successful breeders and whats online, I concluded that a saltwater set up was necessary for success.
Adults can be bred in freshwater, as eggs can remain dormant in fresh water for quite a while, but will not hatch out in fresh, and barely survive in brackish. They need to remain in higher salinity for the early stages of life, and then slowly transitioned to freshwater.
It sounded more tedious than I thought was worth my time.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had tried it several times without success. I had salt water with salt water algae and zoo plankton and all sort of other items that the newly hatched snails could have eaten but they either failed to hatch or did not grow. I gave up. If you have an established salt water tank and add some of the nerite eggs then it may be worth the try but without an established full strength saltwater set up it is not worth the effort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.