The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of four filigree bloodfin tetras (Prionobrama filigera), and I would love to increase the school to 15 or more, but I haven't seen them for sale in probably a year and a half anywhere. In fact, that's why there's only four: I bought all the ones in the tank at the shop with the intention of getting more on the next shipment, but I've not been able to get them since. I did buy a few "true bloodfins" (Aphyocharax anisitsi) thinking they might work together, but the true bloodfins were nippy and grumpy, so I decided not to keep them.

Has anyone successfully bred this species? What water parameters did the eggs/fry need, what did you use to feed them, etc? Did you use a spawning mop (I have bunches of java moss that could be used), or do they spawn on substrate/marbles/bare bottom? Will they eat prepared foods (First Bites or other commercial fry foods) or egg yolks, or do they need infusoria?

I know they are egg-scatterers, but I can't find much beyond that. The adults are roughly 2 years old if I account for the time they probably took to grow to sealable size before I acquired them, so I think they ought to be plenty old enough to spawn.

I have an empty 5g that used to be used for fry when I was breeding dwarf cichlids that could be converted into a spawning tank, and nothing in the 60g where the adults live will eat the babies once they hit about a half inch. Any surplus young fish (if I could be so lucky) can go to the LFS for credit.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: since I'm mostly guessing on what will work, I'm going to try a few things.

I'm making arrangements to borrow a 20g long from a friend to condition the tetras separate from the community tank. I'll go ahead and do several things at once: I'm going to put in a spawning grate on one end with loose stem plants and a potted sword plant on top of it, as well as a hefty clump of java moss and probably even a handful of river rocks, so that the far end of the tank caters to most popular spawning surfaces. Since it will only be 4 adult tetras in a 20g tank, I'll use a sponge filter that's been maturing in my 30g and that should be adequate.

Since my tap water is pretty hard, I'll start with parameters close to their current tank but begin doing water changes once a week using RO water to gradually lower TDS and PH until they begin to actively spawn.

After allowing spawning to continue for 48 hours, I'll pull the parents to a 5g bare bottom for a week or so while I watch for fry to hatch. If I can get fry going then parents can be re-acclimated to tap parameters and go back in the community tank. If the first batch fails I'll put the adults back in the spawning tank to try again.

I'm going to try to culture infusoria on the surface of miramo balls like I did for my baby cichlids. I have first bites and can try egg yolk as well, and I'm going to try to find frozen BBS again. Hopefully they will eat at least one of those things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.