The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just seeing if anyone has been breeding them local an might have some to get rid of? just got a few an really dig them want to add more to my 40, or any other micros for that matter..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i saw them an had to pick up a few more needed some males i brought in some flame moss an some fis font to them though. im just seeing if anyone else has some*new genetics* as ive heard they breed pretty decent hope my fortune is good to, kinda curious to see everyones tricks to get sucessful spawns/offspring.
funny how you look back an start with the biggest fish an over the years work back down to wanting micros now.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I have had absolutly no luck with my Cross banded danio (close cousins to the CPD's) with spawning them, it could be that they are in a flora with a few other fish, but when they were alone in the tank, I would see them do the spawning ritual, but no fry came of it.

I am going both ways lol, I have my 36 gal. which is getting larger fish when a species in the tank dies of old age. And my flora is getting very small. Chili Rasbora have to be one of my all time favorite nano fish, along with the CBD's

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well ive already been watching them do the dance and dip down into the foliage, whats the best way to sucessfully get the fry? do they need a seperate tank or just let the eggs hatch and try an catch the fry or what? right now i have a few rcs, just over a dozen neons and some bnp's in a 40b with plenty of cover. ANY tips will be apreciated, i do cold water on wc so i already know how to help induce them to spawn.. thanks in advance

·
Banned
934 Posts
I know sorry I was just messing with you. Personally whenever I try to get any species of fish to spawn they don't. I swear it seems like the second you quit trying they end up spawning. From what I read because I have 20 of them in my tank and did a bit of research is that you should have a tank setup with a LOTS OF MOSS! That is about it and it seems to be most breeders opinion that brine shrimp is the food of choice.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have bred regular danio. They are evil egg eaters. Pretty much had to use a little breeding cage that separated the eggs from the adults as they were laid. After that had about 100 fry (about 80 became juvies). Kept the gravid female alone for three weeks, then tossed in two males. The process took all of a day and they were back to their regular tank.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have bred regular danio. They are evil egg eaters. Pretty much had to use a little breeding cage that separated the eggs from the adults as they were laid. After that had about 100 fry (about 80 became juvies). Kept the gravid female alone for three weeks, then tossed in two males. The process took all of a day and they were back to their regular tank.
Those HoB (outside) breeder boxes that ShrimpLab and Mordalphus (Liam) offer look pretty cool for stuff like this. I keep meaning to pick one up.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
the problem with CPD and CBD's are that the eggs are TINY TINY TINY lol, they are very very hard to see let alone collect them. They tend to lay the eggs in dense planting material too.

Just this morning I saw several pairs of my CBD's dancing in my UG, I doubt I will see any fry though :(

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
Just ignore them and you will be overwhelmed with fry in no time. Seriously. I started with 5 fish in a 20G-long (with khuli loaches, CBS, and a betta) and even though I give them away all the time I have a never ending step ladder supply. They’re almost as bad as guppies. If you want more fry to survive, feed them micro worms.

BTW, no moss in my tank. They seem to love the blyxa though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.