The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I was going to bleach my tank with Clorox but I looked at the ingredients and it was 6% sodium hypochlorite and 94% "Other ingredients". This made me wary because it didn't say 94% water; it explicitly said "other ingredients". Does anybody use this (the laundry detergent kind) or should I go look for pure bleach?

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's fine for cleaning the tank (not with flora or fauna in it though of course). Be sure to rise well, then rinse again really well. Using some declorinator is a good idea too.

Google 'bleach bomb aquarium'...or something similar. It's been done before and I'm sure you can find recommended dilution ratios out there.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha of course there are no fish and plants in it. It's my QT and I'm doing it to purge everything (filter, heater, lid, net, tank, siphon hose and tube) after my entire batch of sterba's corydoras died in case it was fish TB. I'm just asking about Clorox in particular vs. another brand of bleach, not about bleaching in general.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
For empty tanks or equipment

Buy generic bleach use it 10pts water to 1 part bleach to disinfect. Flush with water, fill tank and de-clor product.

For hard water scale (white crust) use straight vinergar.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
he was just giving us a friendly reminder, you never know when some one will combine the awsome cleaning power of bleach and amonia to try to make some kind of super awsome mega bleach. :proud: (who said you cant learn from cartoons, thanks king of the hill) :cool:
I knew not to mix bleach and ammonia, but I didn't know you couldn't mix vinegar and bleach. Thanks for the heads up... before I went belly up.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
It's my QT and I'm doing it to purge everything (filter, heater, lid, net, tank, siphon hose and tube) after my entire batch of sterba's corydoras died in case it was fish TB.
In this situation, I would use bleach to kill out whatever killed the fish. What I have done in the past with a QT tank is to remove the dead fish and pour bleach straight in the running tank. Allow the bleach to go through the filters and all. I run that for 24 hours.

I empty all water and then run it a few times with clear water and then a 3rd time with a heavy dose of dechlorinator.

After that, I break it all down, manually clean it all, and put it away for the next time.

If the fish had not died or no disease had been involved, then I would not use bleach. I'd simply clean as needed, usually with plain water, sponges, brushes or perhaps some vinegar if hard water had built up in some places.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I once mixed bleach with something - dunno what- when cleaning my tub, in a tiny unventilated bathroom. I was also coloring my hair at the time which mixed to the noxious fumes and also made me stay IN the bathroom so I could rinse my hair out. I ended up in the ER.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Chlorine gas is what is produced sodium hypochlorite and anything acidic. Just an FYI

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I once mixed bleach with something - dunno what- when cleaning my tub, in a tiny unventilated bathroom. I was also coloring my hair at the time which mixed to the noxious fumes and also made me stay IN the bathroom so I could rinse my hair out. I ended up in the ER.
i had a friend who almost died this way. she was very lucky, she passed out and hit her head real bad on the tub and some one found her hours later passed out in a pool of blood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.