The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't but I'd like to. What would be the best way to do this? I'm not sure where one would leak from. I've already fixed two leaks in my setup and I've run through two 5lb CO2 tanks in 1.5 months because of them. I just want to be absolutely sure that I have no more. I'm not paying to fill this thing up every 2-3 weeks. My regulator gauges both retain all of their pressure overnight if I close the CO2 cylinder (whereas they didn't before), so I'm fairly confident that everything from the CGA320 connection down to the solenoid is leak free. Now it's just the connections exiting the solenoid and then to the check valve/bubble counter and then the atomizer. These are all O-ring or pressure connections and there's no teflon tape on these, but I'm wondering if everybody just soapy water tests all the way up to the atomizer?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had this same diffuser. I hated it! I too went through alot of CO2 - 10lbs in 5 months. But worst of all was the bubbles! Bubbles, bubbles EVERYWHERE! Awful!

Switch to a reactor system - you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I've tested it with soapy water and I've also submersed it entirely in my tank. It works without leaking at the connection point. I'd say test the BC and your needle valve once more...The only problem with mine is that it leaks water (darn fluval and their ribbed hosing) but only about 50ml a day so whatever. That's what dish rags are for.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So one of the leaks was induced by myself after having to piece the postbody portion back together after the a 10-32 thread snapped off in a reducer bushing and I had to replace the fittings and rebuild it. I won't place any blame on the first two leaks on the seller because they may not have been there at all. This one was definitely there the whole time though since I have not touched this connection at all since I got it (didn't even really notice it was there until today), so I'm sure I didn't create this leak. Can't say I'm overly impressed with all of the problems that have come up with this setup (uneven inlet face, leaks, broken fittings), but I figure some of it was my fault. At some points I have been so pissed at this that I have considered converting back to non-CO2 multiple times and also considered shelling out the big bucks for ANOTHER setup from another builder, but hey, I hope that after this problem (and maybe replacing the inlet stem down the road), everything will work as expected. Just didn't expect to have to deal with broken fittings, multiple leaks, having to crank the CGA320 so hard to seal it that I can barely get the regulator off of the cylinder sometimes, etc. This CO2 setup, a whole batch of new fish dying in my QT, bad driftwood, algae, and subpar plant growth despite providing good CO2, light, and EI dosing has almost made me quit the hobby every single week, and I only started this aquarium thing 4 months ago, completely new and knowing nothing. But I've already whined too much and I sound like a baby, so I'll stop now, go to fill up my CO2 tank for the 3rd time in 2 months in a couple days, step down to lower light, lower dosing, and hope that that ends this madness.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Owch. Well hopefully this will be the last time you have to mess with it. If it is I'd just disassemble the whole thing, check all the threads and replace bad connectors and seal with locktite.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Well I soapy water tested my shrimplab inline diffuser. CONFIRMED: IT ALSO HAS A LEAK. At this point, what can I expect? Nothing about pressurized CO2 works like I want it to. It doesn't even leak at a connection point. It leaks where the clear, see through plastic meets the black plastic (at a point along that seam). HOW CAN I BE THIS UNLUCKY??? This is leak #4. When the line depressurized overnight, there was water dripping out from the seam. Soapy water tests with the CO2 on showed massive bubbling out at this point. THIS FLAT OUT SUCKS. There are leaks all over the place. It's not even just the regulator anymore! I'll need a new diffuser or have to build a reactor (which I don't have a clear understanding of how that works) now too. I'm running a blackout on my tank indefinitely (no lights). My plants may be fine or they might just all die. With my luck, they'll all be dead soon.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Ehh ask if you can get a refund. It's clearly a defective product. If not you can seal the seams with superglue and baking powder.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
+1 on Refund.
Most companies don't want unhappy customers, you'd me amazed how much defective stuff I've had replaced either for just the cost of shipping or entirely free.
Of course if your diffuser has a leak(assuming its an in tank diffuser) then thats no big deal =]
If its an inline diffuser then I would do something to patch it, either what jeffw said or epoxy for boats or something.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 on Refund.
Most companies don't want unhappy customers, you'd me amazed how much defective stuff I've had replaced either for just the cost of shipping or entirely free.
Of course if your diffuser has a leak(assuming its an in tank diffuser) then thats no big deal =]
If its an inline diffuser then I would do something to patch it, either what jeffw said or epoxy for boats or something.
Yeah it's inline, so I'll have to patch it or I might just try to build a reactor.

edit: getting a replacement shipped. +1 for customer service. I might build a reactor anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.