The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I recently purchased 16 of these little buggers for my tank and so far they have been great fish. Entertaining, gorgeous, and easy to care for. Anyone else with experience with these?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
They're vicious eaters and will strike at anything that hits the water. They're fun to watch. I heard that the gold color is caused by a parasite and that tank-bred ones turn out to be silver because the parasite needs some other host before infecting the fish that isn't found in our tanks.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a video of them in their home. http://youtu.be/LyPD4ceqnSE
They are definitely voracious eaters. Mine have good color. I'm not sure if they are wild caught or tank bred.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice avatar :) They were mixed with another type of tetra at the store and I didn't see any signs of problems (chasing, nipped fins, etc.) I'd imagine they will be fine with most other tetras.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 7 gold tetras! I bought them from a tiny shop in Chinatown; I'd never seen that breed of tetra before, so I bought them all. So far, they have been great--very peaceful, none have died. They are bigger than neons, but not by much, and have thick bodies like neons. Mine are not especially active compared to some of my other tetra species. They share the tank with cardinals, rummynose, zebra danios, harlequin rasboras, and a pearl gourami. I recommend them!

Cardinal, I have also read that the gold color is caused by a parasite. I have no idea whether it's true. Mine have remained gold.

I have two Penguin Tetras who are magnificent and I'm dying to get my hands on at least 5 more to make a proper school, but I can't find any. The two I bought were the last two in the tank at the LFS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.