The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got one of those cheap FZone CO2 generators, that you can get off of Amazon/Ebay. For the most part, I think they're great. But the end of tank dump, caused by the single stage regulator, is so not cool.

I'd like to know if anyone has a working prototype of, or a desire to attempt, an adaptor for a real regulator on these little machines. I've got a UNS Mini that would be perfect. (any of the paintball type regulators would be) I just need someone who can cut threads on stainless steel.

Anyone up for the challenge?

·
Super Moderator
16,108 Posts
So I've got one of those cheap FZone CO2 generators, that you can get off of Amazon/Ebay. For the most part, I think they're great. But the end of tank dump, caused by the single stage regulator, is so not cool.

I'd like to know if anyone has a working prototype of, or a desire to attempt, an adaptor for a real regulator on these little machines. I've got a UNS Mini that would be perfect. (any of the paintball type regulators would be) I just need someone who can cut threads on stainless steel.

Anyone up for the challenge?
Why not buy a paintball adapter? They're $10-$15 and allow you to use regulators typically used with CGA320 fittings on paintball cylinders. Some come in other sizes. There are even some metric adapters you can find on fleabay and the other sites on occasion. Just have to dig kinda deep.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have the paintabll adapter. It comes with the UNS Mini.

Without knowing for certain - the CO2 generators appear to be made from a fire extinguisher body. And the thread for that is quite different from anything that I've seen on the market. There is a tube with a diffuser at the end of it that presumably prevents baking soda from entering the regulator, in case of a spill.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
leave it, do not change anything, the pressure inside the generator normally no more than 100 psi. the EOTD (out put pressure rise) can be neglected.
but not economic to use the generator in a long run, especially if you have a normal to large size planted tank, a generator better suit for a small size planted tank.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is for a small size tank, and regardless of what the working pressure is (which is actually between 10 and 22psi, on average), the reactor dumps when the pressure falls below 10psi. With a simple adaptor, any cheap dual stage regulator would work - and work better. Again, it's not about the high pressure, it's about the tank dump.

I didn't suggest that it was an economical idea, nor ask if I should or should not do it... If I can find a way, it's gonna happen. I can buy a butt load of citric acid and baking soda in bulk, and it costs very little. The hassle of having my bottles filled makes it worthwhile. On my other tank, I have a 20lb bottle, and a spare, because I have to drive 45 minutes to get it filled - and then go back and pick up the bottle the next day.

So this is my project, and it will go forward. :)

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
sorry for my ignorance, I didn't know your reactor "dump" when working pressure lower than 10 psi, I think it is the simple piston and spring valve design in the regulator just can not handle low pressure well, it is more like a release than the EOTD.
EOTD is extra co2 injection due to rise of working/output pressure while the co2 cylinder pressure is dropping.

there is another question though, what kind of diffuser you use? simple ceramic disc type normally have back pressure about 10 psi, and in case the co2 is running out, pressure inside is not high enough to push co2 through the diffuser, and there is no "dumping".

anyway, you understand your own specific setup much better than I do, and if you want to improve your reactor setup, go for it but safety always come first.

get a thread pitch measuring tool you will find out what UNF size of the reactor, then find an adapter fitting, less hassle than drilling a large hole and tap.
you can find a low pressure SMC regulator from ebay, to connect to the reactor.
I don't know how well the UNS mini regulator will work if you put it together with the reactor, it is a dual piston valve design not quite good as diaphragms design regulators, but it can handle liquid co2 pressure, the real problem is the max pressure inside the reactor is just too low....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts