The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked some up a few weeks ago and it just started to grow new white leaves. Took some time to acclimate....seems that one new leaf comes in once a week. Very slow growing but very pretty. I think prices are starting to come down on these since I got both for $150.

Anybody else have any? Tips Tricks?

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I have it too but mine is growing emersed. The acclimation took awhile, I just now getting one new leaf a week. Extremely pretty plant and the new leaves are white too!

I don't think the price will go down that much if at all because how slow it grow and it is still a relatively new plant.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
....I don't think the price will go down that much if at all because how slow it grow and it is still a relatively new plant.
Only if the sellers set & hold a price, which is next to impossible to do. Look at Buce, also a slow grower. A little over a year go it was $80 to $100 for a tiny plant. Now routinely $25.

As far a s a while leafed Anubias that has leaves don't stay white :tongue:, I think it's a 'flash in the pan'. I wanted some myself at one point...now, no so much.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Only if the sellers set & hold a price, which is next to impossible to do. Look at Buce, also a slow grower. A little over a year go it was $80 to $100 for a tiny plant. Now routinely $25.

As far a s a while leafed Anubias that has leaves don't stay white :tongue:, I think it's a 'flash in the pan'. I wanted some myself at one point...now, no so much.
You do have a point... but I think it will be determine by how readily people can import them. I guess I just haven't seem much of these around in the US and international market.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think the price will go down that much if at all because how slow it grow and it is still a relatively new plant.
I hope it does so other hobbyists can enjoy this nice plant. If I'm ready to sell I'll be sure to list it for less than I got it for.... :wink:

·
Registered
644 Posts

Do they not stay white then??

- Mumford

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
There was a man from Indonesia that posted pics of his White Anubias farm, I think that was on APC.

I'm sure other industrious entrepreneur are diligently at work raising their crops too. :hihi:

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always thought they stayed at least partially white. Disappointing :/

- Mumford
Well, so far all the new leaves are white and staying white. All the others have a marbled look to them but I can't say for sure that they will always do that. Maybe it's due to a change in parameters from mine to TomBarr's set up...only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but how are your white anubias doing? I bought one a few months ago, and had to trim a few leaves due to GSA, but all new growth(3 leaves) is pure white, no green whatsoever.

I just noticed what looks like GSA starting on these leaves now, I'd love to keep them white, have you had to clean any algae off the leaves? Was wondering if you had any luck?
Here's an older pic of mine, as you can see algae started to creep on the older leaves, and got worse. I have since trimmed them off, hoping to accelerate new growth.

I have it tied to a rock along with other nana petites.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I too would love to get my hands on this plant. I don't mind saving up for it. It is a tad bit expensive though. My only hesitation at this point would be does it actually stay white/marbled. The white color is what has my attention but if it doesn't stay true to that coloration, I will pass. Updates from you all that do have these would be appreciated. Please reveal the duration you've had the plant and if the plant lost its white color. If it did, how long did it take to come back to its white/marbled form if the color did return.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Very cool looking plant indeed. I too wonder if you can keep it at least marbled. Does it need high light and co2 since the white pigment must have less chlorophyll I wonder?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is an update from the original two that I purchased...the leaves seem to stay white. It's a very nice plant but as said earlier a slow grower indeed.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome growth, are you growing these emersed now?
Thanks.

Nope, they are still growing in a regular tank. I put them into glass pots since it's easier to move around that way; plus the pots are filled with MTS capped with white sand. They seem to be doing really well in my moss tank.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Im afraid to say that nobody can have White Anubias. White Anubias is albino and albino plants can only survive as parasites off another plant since all albino plants lack chlorophyll in their leaves meaning they cannot produce photosynthesis. It has been tried by thousands of people worldwide with both terrestrial plants and aquatic, afraid to say it is a dead end. The only 'white' anubias is a variegated anubias or stardust anubias. However, several cactus nurseries proficient in grafting have managed to commercially produce albinos and then graft thrm onto a bigger cactus which can support the smaller colorful plant with its excess food uptake. Here's a picture

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts