The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the Python water changing system for my tanks because I am not toting tons of buckets of water around.

However, when using it to empty tanks you waste a lot of water. Am I the only one who feels a bit guilty about doing that with the whole push for better ecology and all that?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I don't waste too much water with mine. I only have to run the faucet for about 5-10 seconds to get the siphon started, then the only water going down the drain is tank water. It's probably about the same amount of water one might use to wash their hands.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My Auto-WC System drains into a Pitcher Plant Bed. Both of my Semi-AWCS drain into the grass. My Nano just gets topped-off. Another Aquatic snake setup that I have goes down the drain, but its only ~4g.

I have considered piping the 2 S-AWCS drains into one and then running it around to the PP-bed also--just haven't done it, and may or may not.....:icon_mrgr

Can't You run Your python out the door or window and water the grass or a flower bed? That's what I did, and then just hooked it up to the sink for refills.....:proud:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I use one of those manual siphons, the kind you have to push up and down in the water to get it started. Never saw the need for a Python (and the price tag) when something that costs $10 does the same job.

If it means I get a bit more wet, oh well. Can't take getting wet then aquarium keeping isn't for you!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I use long clear tubing that runs outside to my garden and all that good water
gos right to my plants, they love it. No reason to drain into the sink or tub.
You can also save water from all the rain that runs off your roof into large 1000 gallon tanks, use it for fish,toilet,shower, whatever you want. You may build this on a smaller scale starting with a 50 gallon drum. Every drop counts here in Florida.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I don't waste too much water with mine. I only have to run the faucet for about 5-10 seconds to get the siphon started, then the only water going down the drain is tank water. It's probably about the same amount of water one might use to wash their hands.
Ditto. In my case, I have no plants, etc...so I let it run down the drain, but I never waste too much water to get the siphon started. Draining it is slower than with the water running, but why waste water? I do other things while the tank is draining. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately actually using the water won't work for me as I have a first floor apartment with windows as high as my tanks, and my planted tank is in my office at work. I have to waste the water the way I do.

However, I do admit to sometimes feeling a bit guilty about it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I participated in this kind of discussion in a chat room a little while ago. One person says they "re-use" all the water. I got extremely curious and asked how he does it. This is what he told me.

When he first set up his tanks, 3 55 gallon tanks, he too was concerned about the water going to waste every week. He didn't have a flower bed, or garden that could benefit from the water. So he setup a return tank next to his RO/DI tank.

Water from the tanks gets drained into the "return tank". Close that valve, open the RO/DI tank and fills the tanks, then closes that valve. Then, he goes out to his tanks and turns on his RO/DI system. The system is supplied directly from return tank (with booster pump of course), and the water that doesn't go through the filter goes right back into the return tank, so no water gets wasted.

Thus creating a closed loop, and basically giving him a 1:1 system. He mentioned he has been doing this for years and has had no problems, diseases, or anything else out of the norm this way.

Has anyone else thought about doing something like this? I'm too chicken @#$$ to try something new like that.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I participated in this kind of discussion in a chat room a little while ago. One person says they "re-use" all the water. I got extremely curious and asked how he does it. This is what he told me.

When he first set up his tanks, 3 55 gallon tanks, he too was concerned about the water going to waste every week. He didn't have a flower bed, or garden that could benefit from the water. So he setup a return tank next to his RO/DI tank.

Water from the tanks gets drained into the "return tank". Close that valve, open the RO/DI tank and fills the tanks, then closes that valve. Then, he goes out to his tanks and turns on his RO/DI system. The system is supplied directly from return tank (with booster pump of course), and the water that doesn't go through the filter goes right back into the return tank, so no water gets wasted.

Thus creating a closed loop, and basically giving him a 1:1 system. He mentioned he has been doing this for years and has had no problems, diseases, or anything else out of the norm this way.

Has anyone else thought about doing something like this? I'm too chicken @#$$ to try something new like that.

I would imagine it would waste a LOT of the membranes and DI resin. TDS in his tanks is pretty high I would imagine from all the fish waste and excess dosed fertilizers...the higher the TDS, the less gallons the RODI unit can produce on one set of membranes & resin.

He'd also probably need a pre-filter to filter out all the larger debris from the tank.

I think it'd work if you didn't mind having to replace your membranes more often.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would imagine it would waste a LOT of the membranes and DI resin. TDS in his tanks is pretty high I would imagine from all the fish waste and excess dosed fertilizers...the higher the TDS, the less gallons the RODI unit can produce on one set of membranes & resin.

He'd also probably need a pre-filter to filter out all the larger debris from the tank.

I think it'd work if you didn't mind having to replace your membranes more often.
The water out of my tap is ~300ppm. The water in my Acrochordus setup is 100-200ppm. I am working on lowering it to the ~100ppm range long-term. Either way, its 100-200ppm TDS lower than my tap with no chlorine/chloramines or a host of other possibilities. Pre-filtering the water would be a necessary evil though.

My water bill is averaged over 2 months. On the high month its always under $35 and usually in the $20-25 range--so I haven't really been concerned about it. Setting up a recycling system like mentioned---would take a long time to pay for itself--$$$-wise.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I use long clear tubing that runs outside to my garden and all that good water
gos right to my plants, they love it. No reason to drain into the sink or tub.
You can also save water from all the rain that runs off your roof into large 1000 gallon tanks, use it for fish,toilet,shower, whatever you want. You may build this on a smaller scale starting with a 50 gallon drum. Every drop counts here in Florida.
You are definately not the only person that feels guilty about wasting water using the Python. What it comes down to is, what are you willing to do about it?
I use a JBJ Siphon http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=102258

Siphon is started by squeezing the ball pump- not too hard....

Extra tubing is only a matter of dollars, connect several feet of tubing to the Siphon to go out the window to water shrubs.

It's quite simple and I feel great after doing it:icon_mrgr

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I wonder if properly dosing via EI will result in high levels of TDS?

Nope, shouldn't. All chems dosed should be dissolving completely.
Right...but TDS measures Total Dissolved Solids.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_dissolved_solids
The most common chemical constituents are calcium, phosphates, nitrates, sodium, potassium and chloride...
You're dosing NPK plus traces, so nitrates, phosphates, and potassium.

EI is designed to dose more than you need and then to clean the tank every week with the 40-50% WC on Sunday...so that's why I was wondering if Naja002 dosed EI in his one tank with 100-200ppm TDS.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Naja,

Do you dose your Acrochordus setup at all? I wonder if properly dosing via EI will result in high levels of TDS?
Yes, I have always dosed for the Aquatic Plant Filter (and now the EPF). I have never followed EI to the Tee--I have always proceeded with a lazy way of doing things based upon the "Big Picture"/Concept of EI and trying to learn how to "Grow the Plants" as the Gurus suggest. Basically, it amounts to dosing 1-2x/wk and Trying to get WCs done 1x/wk. The Acrochordus setup is Full Auto-WC (now ~10% daily), but my TDSs stayed between about 180-215ppm--Too High IMO.

I've done a series of WCs and have been maintaining TDSs in the 115-135ppm range, by minimizing dosing--I can actually watch the TDSs drop several points during the day: Like watching the plants actually filter the water!

On the Acrochordus setup I am going to much leaner dosing and in ~1 month I am going to try Auto-dosing the PPS-PRO method. If I can maintain a stable, low range of TDSs--I will do another series of water changes in hopes of maintianing TDSs around 100ppm.

I've gone to the 100%RODI water for several months and have been nothing but pleased with it. Now its time to try minimum dosing--PPS-PRO seems like the best way to proceed at this point. So, I'll give it a whirl! :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
375 Posts
The water out of my tap is ~300ppm. The water in my Acrochordus setup is 100-200ppm. I am working on lowering it to the ~100ppm range long-term. Either way, its 100-200ppm TDS lower than my tap with no chlorine/chloramines or a host of other possibilities. Pre-filtering the water would be a necessary evil though.

My water bill is averaged over 2 months. On the high month its always under $35 and usually in the $20-25 range--so I haven't really been concerned about it. Setting up a recycling system like mentioned---would take a long time to pay for itself--$$$-wise.
Sounds like my water. 300ppm TDS and 3.0 chloramine content coming out of the tap. No, I dont drink this water folks, I only shower in it. Yes, a whole house softener is in the plans for the future.

Anyways, I thought it to be an interesting concept. Maybe sometime in the future I will look into it further and actually do some testing on that type of setup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.